cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate a SAP Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g (on a new machine) ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Do you know the proper procedure of such a migration : Migrate a SAP Oracle 9i to a new machine : HP-UNIX, Oracle 10g.

My understanding :

(1) Setup the new machine

(2) Install the latest version of HP-UX

(3) Install Oracle 10g database program

(4) Use Oracle Export / Import to copy my existing SAP Oracle 9i to this newly installed Oracle 10g machine.

(5) copy or tar all the SAP related files, eg.BRTOOLS, ABAP reports, to the new machine

(6) Modify all the configure files since the machine name is different.

Is it correct ?

Is it the most appropriate method ?

Is Export / Import a proper way to migrate an Oracle to a new version ?

Should I use Data Gurad instead ?

Finally, for this migration issue, any SAP Note you will suggest ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are two ways of doing this:

a) You do a system copy using R3load

This will give you a "free" reoganization because the tables will be loaded into the database as if you were doing a new installation. The disadvantage is, that it takes more time and good planning.

b) you do a system copy using backup/restore together with the database upgrade

This is a fast way to get your system upgraded and if something goes wrong you can still use the old system. Check

Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

this is a note for Windows but you can adapt it to be used on Unix/HP-UX too.

And just as a remark:

The "free" support for Oracle 10g is ending next year in June (see Note 1339724 - Oracle 10.2 Extended Support free until July 31, 2011) - after that you have to buy additional support if you want to continue to run 10g. If you run now a migration/upgrade project, why not upgrade directly to 11g?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus, mean can I restore database of 9.2 to 10 or 11 using brtools or backup/restore method?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should consulte the SAP upgrade and migration guides available under https://service.sap.com/instguides -> DB Upgrades -> Oracle -> Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2): UNIX. This should answer your questions.

Kind regards,

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i'd rather use the ex/import functions of SAPinst to copy the system while "upgrading" to oracle 10..

GreetZ, AH