cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need JDK in PI 7.11 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a PI 7.1 EHP1 SP05 system. I know that now the system uses SAPJVM as source for jdk and does not require a separate jdk from another vendor. Still, we do have IBM JDK 1.4.2_13 installed on our server since the beginning.

Should I remove the IBM JDK from the server? I don't know if this is being used by system in any way or not. But is it a problem is the JAVA_HOME variable on the OS level refers to the location of this jdk? Will that affect my PI 7.11 system in any adverse way?

This is important for me to know because there is some problem with the java stack and I am wondering if the jdk ever causes a problem.

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Shitij

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shitij ,

Guess you are using UNIX / LINUX as OS. The environment for each user at OS level , in this case <SID>ADM user will have there own variables defined in the environment files and it will also have the JAVA_HOME variable. So you can have multiple applications with different JDK versions / JDK from different vendors installed in your OS and they would not conflict.

So it is not necessary that we delete all other JDK's installed.

Now if your PI system pionts to the IBM JDK then its deletion may cause a problem. As far as i understand , Yes, JDK versions does cause a problem and to avoid that you should refer to SAP installation guide and Notes.

You can check your Java version by logging as your PI <SID>ADM user at OS level and typing the following command

> java -fullversion

also you can check the value of your JAVA_HOME variable using the following command.

> echo $JAVA_HOME

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jimmy

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't really have the right answer, but I think that even though JDK is not required in PI 7.1 onwards, it is still not required to be removed because SMD agents or some other components on the server may be using it.

Edited by: Shitij Bagga on Jan 18, 2011 10:08 AM

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do I need JDK in PI 7.11

Yes, You need jdk . PI 7.11 is using jdk 1.5 + for sure. I would not recommend to keep different vendors Jdk in the same machine (even though it is not going to give any conflict). Oracle's jdk is required for SAP PI servers. I would recommend even to get rid of IBM jdk version.

former_member186158
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think PI 7.11 don't need the system environment JAVA_HOME either, you can remove the IBM jdk 1.4x.

Anyway, PI 7.1 don't use jdk 1.4x.

So no problem to remove or keep the IBM JDK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shitij,

If it is your local system then you will not need JDK, only JRE and JVM are required.

Regards,

Pavan