cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2EE RFC Metadata cache refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've searched a bit on this forum but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for...

Is it possible to perform a cache refresh without having to restart the server, after making changes to an RFC model and deploying it? It's a pain in the neck to have to keep restarting DEV, QA and PROD everytime we move something through the CMS that has changes to models.

I would have thought the assembly step from consolidation to production would have solved this problem but it doesn't.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member85655
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

Several stacks like Web Dynpro, Metadata Interface, JCO etc read the ABAP metadata and cache it on the J2EE Engine. Hence the older metadata still remains cached.

Solution:

1) If the interface of a function module is changed on the ABAP side, the restart of the J2EE application server updates the meta data caches on Java side. A restart of the ABAP application server is not necessary.

2) People think about a option to update the meta data cache without a restart of the J2EE application server. But nothing in detail is planned at the moment.

Regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi Gareth,

> Several stacks like Web Dynpro, Metadata Interface,

> e, JCO etc read the ABAP metadata and cache it on the

> J2EE Engine. Hence the older metadata still remains

> cached.

> Solution:

> 1) If the interface of a function module is changed

> on the ABAP side, the restart of the J2EE application

> server updates the meta data caches on Java side. A

> restart of the ABAP application server is not

> necessary.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 2) People think about a option to update the meta

> data cache without a restart of the J2EE application

> server. But nothing in detail is planned at the

> moment.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Regards,

> Arun

Hi Arun,

I understand what is happening and how it works and why... I was simply asking if there is a way to refresh the J2EE cache without restarting the server?

I think this is something we really need included in future SP's as it is a pain. As mentioned, I would have throught the assembly/import step in the NWDI CMS would have done something to refresh the cache when an SC is imported into the Production system.

Gareth.

former_member85655
Active Participant
0 Kudos

No this is not possible currently without a restart of the Engine.

Regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gareth,

I have one idea how it can be implemented.

However, it requires bulk of reflection tricks to get job done, so I will not publish it here. Please mail me at vsilaev AT gmail DOT com

VS