cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Maintain Document Version to for migrating documents from Documentum

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are migrating documents from Documentum to SAP DMS.

In documentum versions are maintained in Numerical and with decimals eg.1.0,1.1,1.2 etc.

While in DMS it can not be maintained in the above way.

I am thinking of using "Document Part" feature to record the version numbers as given below :

Documentum Version No. DMS Version No. DMS Doc Part No.

01.00 01 000

01.10 01 001

01.1.1 01 011

. . .

. . .

01.90 01 009

02.00 02 000

In the above scenario document having Version No.01 & part No.000 will be the parent and others will be the child documents.

I am suggesting client for maintaining all version as above mentioned for the migrated documents. How ever after migration

if he wants he can to maintain in standard way.

Please suggest immediately if this approach is correct or there are any other options.

Thanks

Prasad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for the reply.

As far versioning of DIRs we can control at document type level. How ever where can we control original versioning?

The approach which i requested for suggessions is going to maintain only for migrating documents, and not for future purpose.

Thanks

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

As far as I know these version in documentum are the minor versions and in SAP DMS there is no provision for minor versioning as of now. The best practice will be keep the as per SAP DMS when moving documents to SAP DMS means for 1.0,1.1,1.2 keep as 01,02,03...etc. becasue the main purpose will be fulfilled here that is to search latest document. Hope all previous documents status will be archived and only 1.2 will be released which can be counted as 03 also. I have worked on both documentum and SAP DMS. I will suggest this versioning means minor in documentum and keep major in SAP DMS.

This will avoid lot of confusion in future and will help to run the system smoothly.

Using other fields for this like document part will not be the good practice and can lead to confusions.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since the table figures got misalligned I am giving the scenario once again for your reference :

Documentum Version No.01.00 & 01.10 & 01.1.1

DMS Version No.01

DMS Doc Part No.000 & 001 & 011

Thanks

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

You would need to discuss with your customer and chalk out the versioning approach.You may tackle it at two levels:

1.DIR Versioning

2.Originals Versioning

Since the 'Document Version' field is alpha-numeric in nature, you may also want to play around and try DIR version sequences as A0,A1,A2,A3.. and manage the minor incremental versions at originals level.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar