cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimiser with means of transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Pls spend some time to understand the below requirement and the design.

Requirement- there are two plants, P1 and P2. Material M moves from P1 to P2 using a train R. The train can move 2100 tonnes in one trip.It takes 2 hrs to go from P1 to P2, hence it can make only 6 round trips between P1 and P2(i.e. 12 single trips) in a day. Hence APO should create only 6 orders in a particular day with max of 2100 tonnes as quantity for each order.

Master data-

Plants- P1, P2

Material-M

Resource(train)- R(bucket resource)

Tlane- P1-->P2

There is one SNP planning book and there are two data views- daily and monthly

System design

Max lot size for M at P2 is maintained as 2100

Max bucket capacity for the resource= 6*2100= 12,600

Means of transport for T Lane P1-->P2 is maintained as 'All products'. Transportation duration is set as 2 hrs

Product specific means of transport is maintained for M, with consumption as 12 Tonnes

Results-

There is a requirement of M at P2 for 12,800 Tonnes. Stock of M at P1 is 12,800 Tonnes

When I run optimiser on monthly view- it creates 6 orders with 2100 qty and one order with 200 qty, but all on one day-violating the rule of 6 orders only in one day

when I run optimiser on daily view- it creates 6 orders with 2100 qty in one day and one order of 200 qty on the next day

Query-

1.Why do we need prod spec means of transport when the means of transport is defined as 'All products'

2. What is the use of maintaining consumption as 12 Tonnes

3. If I just go by transportation duration of 2 hrs, so the train makes 24/2=12 single trips, or 6 round trips. Hence 6 orders should get created with 2100 tonnes each in a day. But this does not happen and no planning happens in this case

4.Why do I get different planning results when I use daily and monthly bucket views

Would be very helpful to analyse the design and the concepts if someone can give some pointer

Regards

Manotosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the answar of the below mentioned queries.

1.As per my understanding we do not actually need prod spec MOT when all prod incator is there.I think some older versions of optimizer do not consider all prod tlane (I am not too sure abt it).But if all the prods for a specific plant can not be transferred through same MOT then it is required.Also if the res comsumption and the cost is different then also it is required.

2. Resource capacity will define the capacity in terms of total transportation capacity and consumption is required to do the planning.Like if the consumption is not maintained the capacity becomes as infinite.So there will be more than 12600 tons transported.

3.There is a difference between scheduling and capacity.When you say 2 hrs but parallaly another tran can also go and transportation can happen.But when you define resource and capacity then you restrict the same.This is constrain plng but that duration of 2 hrd will not put any contraints.

4.If you see the results are same only difference is the period.Check the resource capacity view.I think you can see the capacity planned correctly and also the monthly view check the strt and end date.

Hope this can help.

regards,

kaushik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and help. However I still have some query.

1.As per my understanding we do not actually need prod spec MOT when all prod incator is there.I think some older versions of optimizer do not consider all prod tlane (I am not too sure abt it).But if all the prods for a specific plant can not be transferred through same MOT then it is required.Also if the res comsumption and the cost is different then also it is required.

- Your justification to have a separate MOT is absolutely valid as long as we need different MOT for any reason(cost, duration etc). But here there is only one product M being transferred between P1 and P2.

2. Resource capacity will define the capacity in terms of total transportation capacity and consumption is required to do the planning.Like if the consumption is not maintained the capacity becomes as infinite.So there will be more than 12600 tons transported.

- We define the resource max capacity and the utilisation. If the utilisation is more than 100%, I understand that it will try to supply more than 12,600 tonnes. But here the utilisation is maintained as 100%. What will happen if I maintain consumption as 10 Tonnes or 10 BBL or anything other than 12 T as currently maintained?

3.There is a difference between scheduling and capacity.When you say 2 hrs but parallaly another tran can also go and transportation can happen.But when you define resource and capacity then you restrict the same.This is constrain plng but that duration of 2 hrd will not put any contraints.

- The transportation resource is assigned to the T Lane. Hence whenever the T Lane is used, only the same resource is used for transportation. Hence we can not have more than one resource(R) acting simultaneously.

4.If you see the results are same only difference is the period.Check the resource capacity view.I think you can see the capacity planned correctly and also the monthly view check the strt and end date.

- As per the concept, SNP does bucket planning. Hence it will consolidate all the demands in a bucket and would create orders for the qty equal to the demand qty either at the begining of the bucket or middle of the bucket or end of the bucket. It will split the orders based on lot size or any other parameters defined. Hence I am getting multiple orders with 2100 qty(Max lot size) on 1st of the month. But the resource capacity is overshot in this case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the feedbacks,

1. I think you can create an MOT with all products indicator and go ahead.But as i said I am not too sure but some of the versions do not allow all products indicator in case of optimizer.

2.You maintain the capacity and the utilization.If you maintain the utilization is more than 100% the effective capacity for the resource will also go up.Like if you maintain the utilization as 200% the effective capacity will become double.Now based the comsumption the total transportation capacity is finalized.Like if you maintain capacity as 10 kg and consumption as 5 kg for 1ea of material then the system will be able to ship only (10/5)=2 EA of material.

3.I would like to correct you on this point.The transportation resource is not connected to the Tlane actually it is connected to the MOT.So say you have trucks for transportation and trains also.In this case truck capacity can be defined based on the number of trucks likewise in case of train you can define the train capacity also by creating a different MOT.

4.No at the mothly level the resource capacity is 2100*30.The daily capacity is 2100.May be the scheduling capacity is incorrect since you are doing monthly capacity.Try to check out the st. & end dates of the orders from RRP3.Also check the buket offset and the period factor in Tlane.ALready I have asked you to check the capacity view in SNP plng book.Check out the capacity overload and revert back.

Hope this can help.

regards,

kaushik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

closing this thread