cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returnable Packaging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a scenario where I need to track the Packaging materials that are sent to the customers and back. I have gone through the Returnable Packaging process that SAP proposes and that only tracks Material/Quantity. I also need to track at a Each level, I need to know which customer has which Drum.

I tried working on Serial Management but the problem I face there is that when I try to pack the finished goods material into the packaging material, I can only assign the serial numbers to the finished goods and not the packaging material.

Can anyone come across a similar scenario, if so please explain.

Thank You...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

returnable packing scenario suits exacly for your process.

you can view the stock delivered as special packaging materials that we kept at customer site.

It can be viewed in MMBE with spl stock indicator 'V'.

balajia

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can assign Serial numbers to the Packaging materials. Once you pack the materials, goto "Total content" tab, where you can observe total no.of Handling Units for the packed materials. select the handling unit, from menu bar Extras - Serial Numbers.

Assign Serial numbers to Handling Unit here.

test & update.

FYI - Any type of material we can maintain Serial numbers.

Regards,

Reazuddin MD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reazuddin,

I did try that and it does not give me any kind of message or pop up. I did maintain serial profile in material master(for packaging material) and also have inventory for the same.

Am I missing any setting/ configuration?

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just now I have tested in my test system & am able to assign Serial numbers to the packaging material.

after you pack the FG into packing material , press F3 to goto the deliver main screen & you will observe the packing material as seperate line item.

From this screen select the packaging line item & from menu bar - Extras- Serial numebrs.

Pop up will appear to choose the valid serial number.

if it is not happening for you, then check Serial number profile customization.

Regards,

Reazuddin MD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reazuddin,

Yes, I did accomplish that.

But my requirement was to assign Serial numbers to packaging materials during COWBPACK or COWBHUWE to receive them into the warehouse. I need to assign them before I receive the finished goods into the warehouse. That way I have an end to end tracking.

I am going to research a little more and if not possible I will store the serial numbers as text in a field and when I pick for delivery somehow pass that information into the line item (packaging material) of the delivery. Because I think SAP will not let me assign a seial number to the packaging materials. I can be wrong.

If you find there is way to put that serial number on the packaging material of the HU, please let me know.

Thank You.

former_member657499
Participant
0 Kudos

Let me know if you have a solution for this. We have the same requirement and I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

After reading through some materials I finally figured out that it is not possible to have a serial number for a packaging material when you pack the HU. (If the packaging material is an item with in the packaging materials then it is possible)

So, to fulfill my requirement I am have created 1 pallet HU and X Inner HU's. When you pack from production it will pack it based on this configuration. When the Rf user tries to receive it, the serial number is passed on to a field in the HU (any usable field, free text). In a HU managed warehouse packing is done through picking so when you confirm a TO I will pass this serial number to the line item ((the packagin material has a serial profile attached to it) in the Delivery (the packaging material at this time is added as a line in the delivery, there are some function modles that can accomplish this). When you PGI the shipment the Serial numbers are removed from your inventory and added to customer stock. You can then create a return delivery to receive these Packaging materials back into Stock.

This will require some devlopment and is not something standard and not everyone will like it because we are storing the serial number as text in the HU at the time weare packing but thats the only option I could come up with. This way it help reduce the work load on the guy who PGI'es the shipment from entering the serial numbers at that point of time as the serial number are entered at the time of receipt from production.

There is lot of detail that goes into this design but this is the general idea. Hope this helps.

Thanks..

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

yes you are right.

returnable packing scenario suits exacly for your process.

you can view the stock delivered as special packaging materials that we kept at customer site. It can be viewed in MMBE with spl stoc indicator 'V'.

and you can also consider CONSIGNMENT BUSINESS PROCESS here for your requriment you can use MB58 - for consignment stocks at customer location.

but in this process no billing for packaging materials alone.

balajia