cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tnsnames.ora / listener.ora files on Oracle Standby Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I am configuring an Oracle Standby Database to my production system 4.7 and Oracle 9.2.0.4

My production server is: PR01

Database SID: PRD

Standby database server is: PRDR

Database SID: PRD

I have already configured the server to a standby database offline backup. Was generated the control files of the standby database and the database is in standby mode.

Now I will create a script to start the synchronization of offline redolog from the production server to standby server.

I have a question: in the document SAP Oracle Standby Database, tells me I should change the tnsnames.ora production server pointing to an additional entry disaster recovery server. The tnsnames.ora file must have two entries??? corresponding to a production server and another to the disaster recovery server??

In several links of oracle tells me I should configure listener.ora disaster recovery server that is true??

Guys my question is: where should I change my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files?

Please clear my doubt.

Best regards,

Desiree

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Reason for this is when you will start your DR in case of emergency then listener.ora and tnsnames.ora will have entry of your production server, as a result your DR will not start. If it will contain entry of both then you can easily start it.

You have to change entry in ORACLE_HOME/102_64/network/admin. Here you will find listener.ora and tnsnames.ora. Also, change entries in tnsnames.ora in /sapmnt/<SID>/profile/oracle.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for your help

I'm clear with my question.

Merry Christmas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Desiree,

The entry in your TNSNAMES.ORA is a nothing but a tns service, when you define archive log destination it will point to a service. This service's host name will be resolved in your tnsnsmaes.ora file.

Below is the eg of an entry in pfile:

*.log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=<service_name> ARCH OPTIONAL'

Below is the entry in your tnsnames.ora file

<service_name>.WORLD=

(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = <DR_HOST>)

(PORT = 1527)

)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = <DB_SID>)

(GLOBAL_NAME = <DB_SID>.WORLD)

)

)

So, your tnsnames.ora will have one entry for your host and the other for the DR host, i.e two entries.

Listener entry for the convenience when there is a switch over.

Regards,

Bala