cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File system recommendation in SAP -AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All ,

Pls check my current file system of PROD .

Filesystem GB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on

/dev/prddata1lv 120.00 66.61 53.39 56% /oracle/IRP/sapdata1

/dev/prddata2lv 120.00 94.24 25.76 79% /oracle/IRP/sapdata2

/dev/prddata3lv 120.00 74.55 45.45 63% /oracle/IRP/sapdata3

/dev/prddata4lv 120.00 89.14 30.86 75% /oracle/IRP/sapdata4

1, How much Space is recommended to increase the total space of the sapdata1..4 file system in SAP.

Currently we have assigned 120GB to each datafile. if its any recommendation of sapdata1,2,3,4 total space , how can proceed for further ?

ie ---> is there any limitation to increase the sapdata file system in SAP .

example sapdata1,...4 ---> max limit to increase is 200 GB like that .....

2,secondly only sapdata4 is keep on growing and rest of the file system are not much .

Kindly suggets

Edited by: satheesh0812 on Dec 20, 2010 7:13 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member227281
Active Participant
0 Kudos

It depends on type of filesystem (JFS or JFS2) that you are using.

Default filesystem for 64Bit system is JFS2.

Enhanced Journaled File System (JFS2) is a file system, introduced in AIX® 5.1, that provides the capability to store much larger files than the existing Journaled File System (JFS).

The following table provides a summary of JFS and JFS2 functions:

Functions JFS2 JFS

Maximum file system size is 32 TBs for JFS2 and 1 TB for JFS

To check whether your filesystem type is JFS2 or JFS then run gthe command at unix prompt as follows

mount -a

Hope this clarifies your query.

Rgds

-apr

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prasad Rao ,

I have checked my file system sapdata1 ,...4 is jfs2 .

now need to clarify i dont have issue with increasing sapdata1 ...4 file system till 32TB each.

Kindly suggets

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

now need to clarify i dont have issue with increasing sapdata1 ...4 file system till 32TB each.

Yes you can increase each filesystem upto 32TB.

Hope link provided in my previous post would have helped you.

Regards,

SBK

former_member227281
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Satheesh,

There is no issue to increase the filesystem for each sapdata file to 32TB provided the filesystem type is JFS2.

Thanks and Regards

APR

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For temp , i will close my thread..

Former Member
0 Kudos

For better performance create the file system of sapdata using jfs2 and mount them with option : cio

Regards

Davide

Edited by: Davide Berlenda on Jan 11, 2011 2:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satheesh,

Your file system looks OK. You have around 155GB of free disk space. Feel that you disk space is good for the next 1-2 yrs if the db growth is 8GB per month, which I consider it to be normal for a SME organization.

With 64bit machine, you can >200GB of mount point, there is no restriction. You can have mount points (sapdata file) in terabytes.

If SAPDATA4 is growing at a faster pace then I hope that PSAPSR3 and PSAPSR3<rel no> are associated with the sapdat4 directory. The next time when you add a data file, add it where you have more free space, in your case sapdata1.

Regards,

SBK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SBK,

thanks for your valuable reply .

DB growth for weeks is around 10 - 15GB bcoz large data uploads are happening (still implementation is going).

2 months back only we have upgraded sapdata1..4 file systems 240 GB (each sapdata file system 60GB ) almost 100GB are filled with 2 months .

Now for me as well as my OS team (AIX) have query is SAP will be trouble if we keep on increasing the sapdata file system .

Let me know any Limitation of Total space of sapdata files in AIX ?

Kindly suggets .

Edited by: satheesh0812 on Dec 20, 2010 8:09 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have filesystem on AIX 6 of 2 TB of sapdata's mean you should be able to increase/extend your FS as well. For more information check with UNIX team how much they can extend the FS. Or check on IBM site as this depends which type of FS you are using.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please identify what are the activities that were taking place which was consuming your space so rapidly.

Analyze if the same activities are going to be performed in future, if so for how many months.

Based on the comparision of present growth trend you can predict future trend and decide. Also analyze which table/tablespace is growing fast and what were its related data files and where are they located, you need to increase that file system to high level rather increasing all file systems sapdata1...4.

Based on gathered inputs you can easily predict future growth trends and accordingly increase your size with additional space of 10%.

You can increase your file system there is no limitation such, but you will face performance related problems. For this you need to create a separate tablespace and move the heavily growing table data files into that table space with proper index build.

Regards.

Edited by: Sita Rr Uppalapati on Dec 20, 2010 3:20 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply .

{code}Also analyze which table/tablespace is growing fast and what were its related data files and where are they located

I have checked PSAPSR3 Table space is growing fast .let me know how can check which Table is growing fast ?

Kindly suggets .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use transaction DBACOCKPIT -> Space -> Segments -> Overview.

There is a tab for "Top Growth" which should be exactly what your are looking for.

Kind regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satheesh,

SAP will not be in trouble, you can add as many datafile as possible and can create sapdata5 ......sapdataN

I hope you are using JFS2 file system on AIX machine, it can support upto 32TB per file system. i.e your sapdata4 directory can have a max size of 32TB and so are the other directory. You can happily increase the space as long as you have ample storage left in your SAN.

Hope the below link will be helpful.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.baseadmn/doc/base...

Regards,

SBK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can find top table growths from location which sven has specified in above posting.

In regards to data files you can match them to the tablespace only not to table; identify where was all your datafiles related to table space sapsr3 are located(file system(s)) and you can increase that size.

In regards to table growth you need to keep monitoring them and decide on the future growth.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All ,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I got the below information from DB02 .

BALDAT

SYS_LOB0000072694C00007$$

BALDAT~0

CDCLS

EDI40

BDCP2~001

BDCPS~1

APQD

SYS_LOB0000082646C00006$$

BDCP2~0

CDHDR~0

CDHDR

CDCLS~0

Let me know how can find exactly Table with log function .

pls provide any link for check the table and table contain what type of logs will be stored each table.

for example take BALDAT , let me know what kind of log will be stored ?

Kindly suggets .

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think we discussed this earlier. The table BALDAT is for Application Log: Log data. and also I mentioned how to manage/delete the logs. Search on SDN you should get it. Try tcode - slg1, slg2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The reason BALDAT was showing in high DB growth was due to data loads happening in the system. BALDAT table records the application level changes (data change).

What was your DB size of earlier system, you need to set the FS size based on your older system DB and % of growth every year. Decision on the disk space need to be taken keeping next 5 yrs in scope.

You can increase your diskspace of your sapdata FS and later increase your TS.

Regards.