cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP IDES Oil-600 installation taking forever!!!! need help!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB: MaxDB

HW: Inter Xeon 2.0GHz with 8GB RAM

Hello Experts

I am trying to install IDES OIL-600 that I recently downloaded from SAP Marketplace (path SAP Application Components>>IDES SOLUTIONS>>IDES OIL-600). I initially tried AS ABAP + AS JAVA (with ECC, Self Service and EP usage types) but now running the installation for only AS ABAP with ECC. This installation is for a central instance on Windows Server 2003 64bit SR2 and MaxDB. The hardware is Intel Xeon 2.0GHz with 8GB RAM.

THE ISSUE:

It doesn't matter which components and usage types I select, the installation starts fine but as soon as it reached the step 'Create Database Instance' (I think it is step 12 of 29 as per my installation parameters), it just stays there for DAYS!!! The CPU usage is not that high and after a few days even RAM usage gets below 1GHz. The hard drive light stays on suggesting some heavy read/write.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should it take that long? So far I have terminated the installation process three times to re-start but as soon as it gets to the 'Create Database Instance' step, it just stays there forever.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- how much memory did you assign to the database?

- what is the database doing? (run "x_cons <SID> sh ac 1"

Markus

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Do you get any errors in sapinst_dev.log file?

regards,

John Feely

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked SAPinst.log and SAPinst_dev.log files and do not see anything alarming. SAPinst.log suggests that maxdb was installed successfully and then database instance creation started. In my last attempt, I let it run for about 2 days and then aborted the installation again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you installing on normal desktop or real high end server? IDES installation need resources, please follow the installation guide for minimun requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is being installed on a high end server (Dell PowerEdge 2950, Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5320).

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you please check the logs from C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir. Go thourgh the latest log files.