cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Database pass in Provisioning job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SDN,

I'm trying in a provisioning job to get some data from the database and then sending it back onto the database, here i found the 'from database' pass satisfying.

The problem is i'm getting this wired error: "Fromsource ODBC is a illegal type for provisioning!" when i have set it all up and trys to run it.

I have been reading in the help files and found that ODBC only is used when the runtime engine is Windows but mine is running on a Java runtime engine. the link i uses for the connection is the global constant %$ddm.identitycenter% and i uses it several places outside the provisioning jobs in 'from database' pass.

I have then been reading further in the help files and found this quote: 'A task always operates on one given entry in the identity store. This is why there is no source defined in the pass of the job in an action task.' is this why i can't connect up to the database?

Some one having any idea?

Best Regards

Jesper Lindstrøm Nielsen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jesper,

You can not use FromPass into Provisioning Job.

To do so, Create an Administration Job with to pass :

1- FromDatabase (....) to read date from your source

2- ToDatabase (....) to send it back with needed transformation

This job can be run manualy (using runnow) or scheduled, but can as well be call from a provisioning job. To do so;

Create a Provision Job with ToGeneric pass,

Into the ToGeneric pass, write a javascript function with :

OutString = uRunJobNow(<Job ID of the administration job previously defined>)

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

I have thought about this way, the problem is just that i can't send parameters (userId) to the job. To send paramters i could create a new entryType for this kind of jobs and then add the paramters as attributes to this entryType. Then could the new job called by the JavaScript get all of the new EntryType and from the database and process the current action and afterwards delete the Entry from the Database.

This is possbile, but I think it is a bit to much of a workaround. so I was wondering if there where any other possibilities?

Best Regards

Jesper Lindstrøm Nielsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see !

I would prefer use global variables whereas create and delete entrytype (sounds better but not perfect).

So, anwser previously given was certaily the best one : use uSelect into script call from Source Tab of your ToDatabase pass.

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Global Constant wouldn't work because of multi threading.. if 2 users runs the same provisioning job at the same time.

uSelect is possible.

But I am still wondering why is it even possible to make a from database pass inside of a provisioning job if it can't be used?

Best Regards Jesper Lindstrøm Nielsen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_groth2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

is your "from" database the same as your IDM-database? If so, you could also try to use a usual task type like "to generic". There you can use the global constant %$ddm.identitycenter% in the source tab.

Best regards,

Thomas Groth

#EDIT: Sorry i didnt read you post carefully enough. I does not work that way in a provisioning pass. You could try to use a script with uSelect instead.

Edited by: Thomas Groth on Dec 20, 2010 12:49 PM