Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems faced during BW3.5 to BI 7.0 Security Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We are planning to do an upgrade on our current BW 3.5 to BI 7.0. Could anybody share their experience on the problems you've faced during the upgrade and a model solution/precautions. I have completely gone through the documentation provided by SAP. But still wanted to know things that i have to be aware of.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jegadesh,

The only issue that you may experience is with migrating the queries from BW to BI. My recommendation would be doing the migration manually rather than user RSEC_MIGRATION. You can extract data from following tables and prepare to understand the Infoareas, Infoproviders, objects and queries role wise:

AGR_DEFINE

AGR_HIER

RSRREPDIR

RSDCHA

This will help you to quickly migrate the queries to the new version.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Thank you. I would like to learn more before they proceed with the upgrade and be of more help. If you could suggest me some documents that would be of great help. ( step by step would be nice )

Thanks

jegadeshk

0 Kudos

For documentation a good place is help.sap.com

You may like to look into below and see if that helps.

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/4a/782c5b3109731ee10000000a42189c/frameset.htm |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/4a/782c5b3109731ee10000000a42189c/frameset.htm ]

However like to add one point is that every upgrade will come up with some issue. It's unlikely that upgrade done without any issue. My suggestion is that follow SAP guide like bible. Rest hope for the best.

Regards,

Arpan Paik

Edited by: P Arpan on Dec 15, 2010 1:45 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Jagadesh,

There is no document as such which provides you the step by step information on the upgrade. However, if you doesn't have fair idea on BW and BI, I recommend you to take assistance of your team members, since a simple incorrect step may lead to severe issues. Even though there is no production impact, your management needs this system live always for reporting

If you still wish to take up the task on your own, I wish you all the best Here is an outline:

First decide on the mode of upgrade (Automatic or manual) and follow the steps below:

1. Enable analysis authorization using RSCUSTV23

2. Specify how the existing BEx Anlayzer is called using RRMX_CUST

3. Identify the roles, profiles, and BI related auth objects

4. Activate business contet related InfoObjects (0TCA* and 0TCT) and InfoCubes (0TCA) using RSA1.

5. Make 0TCAACTCT, 0TCAIPROV, 0TCAVALID infoobjects as authorization relevant from RSD1.

6. If you are using automatic migration, use RSEC_MIGRATION from SE38 and follow the steps.

7. Incase if manual migration, follow the steps provided in the previous post.

8. Create anlaysis authorizations using RSECADMIN

9. Adjust the old roles with new authorization objects.

10. Test the new setup and go-live

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Raghu

Edited by: Raghu Boddu on Dec 15, 2010 2:39 PM

0 Kudos

@ Arpan: Thank you very much. that library page gave me a lot of info.

@ Ragu: Will keep those steps in mind. As you said i am going to take my team members help doing it [obviously :)]. Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks

Jegadesh

0 Kudos

Hi,

Apart from the points mentioned already related to BW upgrade the first thing that one needs to decide is whether you should go for a. Technical Upgrade and b. Functional and technical upgrade both. Both have some advantages and disadvantages.

In case of the former one we keep the role structure and authorization concept intact in the upgraded BI 7 system. Few modifications needs to be done. The most important one is doing the change in SPRO IMG settings SAP Business Information Warehouse->Reporting relevant settings->General Reporting settings->Analysis authorization concept->Obsolete concept with RSR Authorization Objects (or txn RSCUSTV23). After these settings you may need to include object s_rs_mpro in some of the roles. Take ST or RSSM trace on the roles to find any missing object. Here there is one problem..SAP doesnt support BW 3.5 auth concept in BI 7. Hence after the upgrade stabilizes switch to the analysis auth concept after some time.

In case of both Functional and Technical upgrade you need to convert the BW 3.5 concept into Analysis authorization concept as old concept wont be kept in BI 7. Hence the time taken for upgrade will be more as the roles needs to be converted as per rsecadmin analysis authorization concept.

Regards

Aveek.