cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sybase Replication Server capture data changes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

as far as I know Sybase Replication Server is a central component in a HANA-based enviroment when it comes to replicate data towards HANA engine.

I scan briefly through a white paper of Sybase, but I gives no technical description how the Sybase Replication Server captures data change on the source database.

Can someone gives here explanation?

All the best,

Guido

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guido,

Replication server allows for near realtime asynchronous replication between heterogeneous datasources. It uses a RepAgent to read the transaction logs of the source databases then translates & sends it on to the destination databases.

In the context of the HANA solution I expect it will just attach to existing database and feed HANA's in-memory database.

Regards,

Luke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Luke,

thanks for insight!

Instead of capturing tate change on buiness object level it capture the change on DB level.

For the object like purchase order you have I think 3 main tables (header, items, Einteilungen (German term for: breaking items to a time scale) ).

Does Sybase replication server deliver content for different ERP system, so that you get an idea which table changes to capture? Is Sybase replication server a operational or mandatory component in HANA stack?

All the best,

Guido

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Guido,

indeed, the changes are captured on DB level (the implementation is DB-dependent and differs from Oracle to DB2 for example). And as you pointed out, to capture changes to "SAP business objects" one has to know which DB tables are involved. It's not that easy to find out which tables are involved. SAP plans to deliver business content for exactly this reason.

Regards,

Marc

SAP Techology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

thanks for fair and hornest answer!

I'm currently involved in SAP based project where we are migrated business on DB level, which is some kind of operation a heart. I personally have huge respect for this approach.

Caputring the changes on DB level is a appoarch, but I personally think that you need to capture event on business object level. For exammple the SAP good old workflow knows events for business objects. Also in a ESA-driven application you should have some kind on eventing for business objects.

For the time being the current approach might working for a kind of Proof-of-Concept,

but on a mid and long-term based you need to RETHINK!

All the best & Merry Christmas & Happy new year

Guido

Answers (0)