cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does HANA impact the application development?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Vishal Sikka (CTO of SAP AG) quoted in this blog SAP HANA - X factor [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/22513] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; the following:

In-memory computing reduces complexity by many factors u2013 layering, orchestration, reading, writing, parsing, intermediary formatting, etc, -- so we can unwind the complex layers that were put in place to take application logic processing out of the database. The simplicity of this design u2013 and the lack of layers u2013 creates the ability to develop applications extremely quickly while writing only the minimal amount of code necessary.

I know (too) little about HANA, but if Vishal is right by all means that means that HANA is brand new paradigma in application developing. Why does HANA reduces the layers in application development?

Currently I see two scenarios:

I. Existing applications HANA-enabled

In this scenario I need additional components

-- Sybase Replication Server

-- HANA engine

-- HANA eanabled client

(see: [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/22448] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

II. HANA-developed application

-- HANA will replace database

In both scenario I currently don't see the redcution of layer. In contradication in the scenario I. there are there are even more components involed. For the time-being the scenario I. will be most used one.

Can you please advise me how I get Vishal wrong?

All the best,

Guido

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think vishal meant in the Hana only scenario. I see the layers being removed there and being replaced with a pre-built service which does the manual work

for the existing applications- there might be something in the sdk which is being released in some time- there might be engines which will be developed for translating the data- reducing some if not all the layers that he mentioned

grey areas in this scenario