Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database ID change

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any other method other than export/import to change the database ID for Maxdb ?

Regards,

Neel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Experts,

>

> Is there any other method other than export/import to change the database ID for Maxdb ?

Well, you could do backup, drop instance, create new instance for recovery and restore the backup.

That is much faster than exporting and importing the data.

Every other technical option is just too error prone (manual editing of files and paths and registrations) too explain it here.

But why do you want to change the DB instance ID?

regards,

Lars

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well i am trying to create a copy (with different SID) without doing export/import or backup . So was trying to figure out if there is anyway to handle the ID change . Would appreciate if you can send me some material on alternative way (which you mentioned in your reply) through email.

Regards,

Neel

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Well i am trying to create a copy (with different SID) without doing export/import or backup . So was trying to figure out if there is anyway to handle the ID change . Would appreciate if you can send me some material on alternative way (which you mentioned in your reply) through email.

>

> Regards,

> Neel

Ok, so this is about a database copy.

The first question here of cause is: what's wrong with the super-easy, fast and problem-less approach of taking a backup and restoring it?

This method gives you far more flexibility about the target volume configuration (you can change it completely), requires less data to be moved (as only filled pages are saved in the backup) and is fully supported by SAP and the DBA tools.

Systemcopy is super-easy that way.

Of course, if you have something like a snapshot-capable filer or storage system, then you may be better off by taking advantage of this.

In that case, why don't you just check the HOW-TO section of our WIKI?

There you find "How to create a clone of a SAP MaxDB database" and "HowTo - SAP ON UNIX AND SAP® MAXDB WITH NFS AND NETAPP STORAGE".

There really must be something wrong with the search function here in SDN that you didn't find these yourself...

regards,

Lars

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Neel,

Please review the SAP notes:

604680 Renaming an SAP DB or liveCache instance

1427931 Renaming a MaxDB or liveCache instance as of Version 7.8

1377148 FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup/recovery

1014782 FAQ: MaxDB system copy

< 12. => the answer on question "Where can I find more information about a system copy?" >

If you want use the storage system for data backups with MaxDB please see the SAP note:

616814 Suspend log writer for split mirror or snapshot

What is the version of your database?

What is the OS of the database server?

What is the OS of the target database server?

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina