cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change SAP SID

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have two identical SAP R/3 systems (same SAP SID, same database name). We use the first one as production and the second as quality. Since we want to correctly configure the landscape, we must rename the second one (i.e. from PRD to QAS).

We have decided to change only the SAP SID from PRD to QAS (no change to DB) manually.

This means that we are going to change the profiles, filesystems' names, userids.

The result will be:

1. One production system (as is) SAP SID= PRD , DB_NAME=PRD

2. One quality system SAP SID=QAS , DB_NAME=PRD

3. Configure the TMS in order to import requests from QAS to PRD.

Do you think that this is going to work?

Any suggestions please?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tks

deeraj_shetty
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Catherine Leville,

Now its possible to change SAP SID, DB SID and host name using system rename 1.0 tool.

You download the latest version of documentation and latest version of system rename 1.0 from SAP Service Marketplace at http://service.sap.com/sltoolset ->Software Logistics Toolset 1.0

Regards,

Deeraj Shetty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Changing an SAP SID is not difficult but it as same as a repairing the system with lot of efforts.

System copy is a straight way to achieve this.

Few of the pre and post steps need to be done manually if you don't want to follow the standard procedure.

Changing SAP SID in FS structure and profiles

Changing the SID mechnanism and user mechanism at database

Connecting the application with database

Post installation steps (Ex: ST06, BDLS conversion etc)

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Catherine/All, Can you please share steps to rename SAP SID if we dont want to do via System copy?

I really need this. thanks you very much in advance. Please send me on mkkaul2003atyahoodotcom if possible.

Regards

Mani

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo,

I need the same.

I have a system with ABC name/SID and I want to rename it on DEF name/SID

And after I execute a system copy from GHI to DEF.

I would like to rename the environment, <sid>adm user, Oracle Instance name, SAP system name, and after I will execute a system copy to replace the database and etc.

Thanks for your help.

Mario

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please see note

11692 - Renaming the system ID

regards,

John Feely

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In order to achive the result, "2. One quality system SAP SID=QAS , DB_NAME=PRD" you have to go for homogeneous system copy (Export/Import or Database Restore Method) of your existing Quality system.

Post system copy your SAP ID will be changed to QAS and Database schema will be similar to Production system generally SAPR3.

Please revert for any clarification.

Regards,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case he only want's to change the SAP SID, he doesn't have to perform an entire system copy.. Just editing the profiles and do some post processing is sufficient.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your immediate response!

As Mark said we just want to change the SAP SID.

After editing the profiles and renaming the filesystems which are the remaining post-processing steps?

Do we have to do something on DB level?(i.e. relink or...??)

Best Regards,

Catherine

Former Member
0 Kudos

You want to change only SAP<SID> after editing the profile and changing the filesystems.

also make sure you need to modify environment variables and to point to new SAP<SID> and configure the OPS$ mechanism.

Perform R3trans -x to check whether you SAP connects to DB or not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The post processing contains logical system name conversion (in case you are going to change this) transport system, profile import, etc.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any answers on DB level?? Do you think that we will face any problems?

For example:

1. Will the Oracle database be linked to the SAP system after the SAP SID change?

2. Can you see any problems in the procedure of importing requests from this system (say QAS) to the PRD through TMS?

I mean any problems, since the two systems will have the same SAP SID but different database name, DB SID.

Best Regards,

Catherine

Former Member
0 Kudos

There should not be any issues with different SAP<SID> and same DB name, you need to make sure that your test system is connecting to correct DB. As mentioned earlier you need to maintain the environment variables correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Catherine,

1. Will the Oracle database be linked to the SAP system after the SAP SID change?

The SAP system is pointing to the database, not the other way around.. So it will have no impact.

2. Can you see any problems in the procedure of importing requests from this system (say QAS) to the PRD through TMS?

I mean any problems, since the two systems will have the same SAP SID but different database name, DB SID.

No, the SID of the database has no relation to the transports..

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks to all of you!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

can u tell me how it is possible that an SAP system has different SAP SID from its DB SID?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i found the answer SAP SID AND DBSID CAN NOT BE DIFFERENT..

Thanks & Regards

Gadhavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

you might also want to consider running transaction BDLS to fix the SID on application level.

Regards,

Thomas.