cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX DB Doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking to learn ABAP using net weaver 7.0 Trial.

As is it comes with a MAX db . I have the following questions.

1.) Can u install the net weaver 7.0 Trail with a oracle Database ?

2.) Where can i get a sample schema script using which i can start writing ABAP programs ?

Thanks in advance for the assistance ...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am looking to learn ABAP using net weaver 7.0 Trial.

Ok, so you don't want to learn about databases.

> As is it comes with a MAX db . I have the following questions.

> 1.) Can u install the net weaver 7.0 Trail with a oracle Database ?

Nope, you can't.

And why would you?

ABAP programming means: database agnostic programming.

If you do it correctly, your programs will run correctly on all supported databases.

> 2.) Where can i get a sample schema script using which i can start writing ABAP programs ?

Schema script? What??

For all the >80.000 database objects of a standard ERP installation?

Hello and welcome in the world of large database applications!

Seriously, if you want to learn about ABAP programming, try to move away from thinking "oracle"-sql or PL/SQL logic.

Think in internal tables and structures and ABAP constructs like this.

In fact, for learning and single-user-programming situations, MaxDB is what you're looking for.

You don't have to take care about the database instance, it doesn't eat much of your systems resources and works great with NetWeaver.

regards,

Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for helping me out

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thank you for your valuable response.

Regarding the second question.

I was looking at a small schema demo script say scott schema which has some basic data upon which we can write application programing. Similiarly in the installation for Net Weaver 7.01 Trial which has a in bulit Max DB i would want some basic custom tables to be created based on which i could practice writing ABAP programs....

Also using SQL Studio to connect to MaxDB was not user friendly any other tools to connect to it ?

Edited by: krishna_36 on Dec 14, 2010 7:09 AM

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I was looking at a small schema demo script say scott schema which has some basic data upon which we can write application programing. Similiarly in the installation for Net Weaver 7.01 Trial which has a in bulit Max DB i would want some basic custom tables to be created based on which i could practice writing ABAP programs....

Well, the whole ABAP Basis part takes hundreds of different tables that need to contain the correct data to make the whole ABAP application server running at all.

So, yes, the initial 'hurdle' or the starting requirement is way higher than just installing e.g. Oracle Express and an SQL editor of choice.

The point here is: with ABAP you're always developing against an infrastructure that can be scaled to fit large enterprises.

There aren't any functions you can simply leave aside.

On the other hand, the demo installation available here on SDN is easily usable in a VMWare player - so I tend to believe that it's not too extreme to just take the whole installation even if you're just starting with ABAP.

At least, you want to learn it in a way that you can later apply to real SAP installations, don't you?

> Also using SQL Studio to connect to MaxDB was not user friendly any other tools to connect to it ?

Try MaxDB Database studio then.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I already have installed the SAP Netweaver 7.01 on my Laptop for learning purpose.

Can i have any script to create a custom tables, with some data. so that i can start working on ABAP programs using those tables.

Please provide me with the details of the link where i can get the VMWARE installation available.

Thanks for the help

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Can i have any script to create a custom tables, with some data. so that i can start working on ABAP programs using those tables.

You don't create the tables on the database directly but through the SAP dictionary (transaction SE11). If you activate the table there it will be created on the database...

Markus

Edited by: Markus Doehr on Dec 14, 2010 3:55 PM

adrian_dorn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

... and with transaction SE16 you can manually input some data into those tables.