cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Portal (7.01 SPS 5) Errors after Cluster Reboot

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a SAP Portal system, version 7.1 SPS 5, running on Windows Server and MS SQL Server. It has a CI and 17 DI application servers. Each DI has 2 logical SAP Portal instances.

They all run okay until I restart the entire cluster (via the SAP MMC). When I do this, it is often the case that one or both of these 2 issues occurs:

a) The server node on some of the logical instances does not start

b) The user gets presented with the logon screen (username and password fields). They enter their username and password and attempt to log on, but the SAP Portal just returns the logon page again, with the username and password fields blank. The logon attempt does not show in the defaultTrace log file

The workaround for these issues is to restart the SAP DI instance.

I think that the issue might be due to contention as the servers start up, because if I start each of the DI servers in turn, with a delay between them, they all start okay with no issues.

Please can you tell me if there is a solution for this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

I have seen a parameter setting that acts as a delay to ensure certain services are running properly before continuing startup but I cannot seem to find the documentation at the moment. If I can retrieve it I will certainly post a follow-up.

If you don't feel like waiting any longer, I would recommend you open a SAP customer message, I believe there is a solution for the issue you describe.

For the time being ensure you have enough delay between your CI and DI to avoid the issues.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

For the server nodes not starting, a start would be be to have a look at the dev_server* and std_server* logs on the server's work directory(..\usr\sap\<sid>\<instance>\work..

Does it show any issues while starting?

Regards,

Srikishan