Hello,

My scenario is -

Source System:

SAP ECC - 5.0 Non-Unicode

Oracle - 9.2.0.6

Expected Target System:

SAP ECC - 5.0 Unicode

Oracle - 11.2

I am planning to take export of source system. Install new Unicode system using system copy method directly on Oracle 11.2 importing Oracle 9i export.

Would this be possible as SAP is not supporting direct upgrade from 9i to 11g using DBUA method ?

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

SAP Technology Consultant

Cell: +91 9819815655

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good idea, simply using export and import into unicode system. This will never work.

for oracle upgrade follow Note 1434131 - Release of Oracle 11.2 versions for older SAP versions

and Note 1322715 - Unicode FAQs

>>BTW: do not mention Cell: +91 9819815655, but maintain in your profile.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am aware that only export/import wont do the Unicode conversion for me.

But my query is regarding Oracle upgrade from 9 to 11 using export/import method.

I have already gone through the Notes you have suggested which only talks about database specific upgrade methods (using DBUA) which do not support 9 to 11 upgrade.

I am not finding any information regarding database upgrade using system copy method where in my source system is on oracle 9 and for target system I will install oracle 11. Because theoretically export which I will be doing from my source system is platform independent so there should not be any problem importing that into any version of any database.

But I need confirmation before starting the activity.

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

SAP Technology Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think its a good Idea to Install ECC 5.0 with Oracle 11g.

ECC 5.0 is currently under extended maintenance, and Under service.sap.com/pam you can see that

11g is not supported with ECC 5.0. Only supported till 10g.

Its hard to find the installation media if you are not under extended maintenance contract.

You would also have to find the right installation dvd's for 11g which are compatible with ECC 5.0.

I am really not sure if SAP would provide you with support if things go wrong.

From my previous post below, Markus says, export/import to Oracle 10g is possible, but 11g, may be somebody with experience on that can shed some light.

Regards,

Vishnu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But my query is regarding Oracle upgrade from 9 to 11 using export/import method.

If you export a database on whatever OS and whatever database you can import it on whatever OS and whatever database, those exports are database and operating system independent.

> But I need confirmation before starting the activity.

To answer you question: YES, it's supported (technically) and works.

For the installation itself follow (if you're on Unix)

Note 1478351 - Oracle 11g Support on UNIX: 6.40-Based SAP Systems

Markus