cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating a record and writable once setting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my vendor repository we have a field that is set to writable once which should mean that once you have saved the record the first time you can not edit this field anymore. When I duplicate a record, to make a new vendor and need to change this field as well I get an error message 'a new value was supplied for a non-empty field configured as 'Writable once', version 7.1. [7.1.03.53]'

I wonder how this can be? Does MDM automatically save the record once you duplicate? This should not be this way, since you duplicate you want to make changes to the record afterwards.

Is there some solution or workaround for this?

--

Henning

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How are you duplicating the record? I just tried duplicating a record in my test repository which includes a field that is "writeable once" and it allowed me to change that field before saving the record. Are you going through the Portal or something like that? When you duplicate the record you have to change the field value before you press "shift + enter" which commits the record into the database.

Also, possibly it could be a difference in versions, as I am running MDM 7.1.05. You may want to check the release notes to see if this was something that was changed in SP05.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This has been changed in SP04, thanks for the tip Harrison Holland

from SP04: The user can now change write-once fields after duplicating the record and before committing the changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is not through the portal or anything but directly in MDM. I just right click - select duplicate, correct the data (at this time I have not saved the record) - and then try and save the record and it gives this error.

I know writable once you are only supposed to write the data once and it is not editable once you have saved the first time, but when duplicating and correcting the data before saving should allow this.

I will take a look at the change log for SP05 to see whether this has been fixed then.

Are there no others that have experienced this with SP03?

--

Henning

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henning,

You can only change the field with writable once option, before saving it.

Once saved, it will not allow any further changes.

Thats how it works.

Thanks,

Priti