cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Stanby database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts ,

we have to create standby database for production server .

I have some queries for that

1. do I have to make a system refresh of production server ?

2. or install a new sap server to use as a standby server and configure dataguard ?

3. Standby server SID and Database SID should be same or diffrent ?

4. what about the file system structure . Is should be same as production server in standby server or it can be diffrent.?

5. do I have to restore the offline data to standby server through brbackup ?

pl. suggest .

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

point 1: yes, you should take a online backup and restore to your standby DB and sync with prod.

point 2: Are you going to use the DR database as primary if something goes wrong with your Prod? Or you want only DB DR.

point 3: Prod and Standby SID should be same.

point4: Filesystem structure also must be same.

point 5: You can use brtools to create your standby database.using offline/online backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pl. correct me if I am wrong

1. Standby db means I have install a fresh SAP ECC6 server and restore the production server offline backup on it .

2. meanse it is system refresh ?

3. in the new fresh ECC6 server . The SAP SID and DATABASE SID should be same ?

4. host name should be diffrent ?

5. I have two ways to do above process

A. system refresh = oracle backup restore

B. system refresh = sapinst export import

6. After doing the above process I have to configure Standby DB meanse Disaster recovery server ?

7. I have following ways to configure DR Server

a. By configuring Datagrid ?

b by RAC ?

pl. suggest .

Thanks in advance!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Point 1: Yes, install ECC6 and DB and then you can use online / offline backup of your prod db to restore on DR.

Point 2: Yes, refresh but you should not 'open' the DR DB and perform the system refresh tasks. You need to open mount the database as standby and then sync. For this you need to configure Datagaurd.

Point3: Yes, DB SID has to be same as production.

Point 4: Yes, host name can be different.

Point 5: To simplyfy just use oracle DB online/offline bcakup.

Point 6: Yes, you need to configure your log shipping to DR and sync to DR.

Point 7: Sorry, I do not know much about RAC, but we are using Dataguard.

There is a document on Dataguard on oracle site, please refer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for support .

Cheers !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Point 2: Yes, refresh but you should not 'open' the DR DB and perform the system refresh tasks. You need to open mount the database as standby and then sync. For this you need to configure Datagaurd

Can you pl. more detail on above point .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Point2 : Your DR database should not be in open mode if you want to sync with production.

If you want to configure DR sync then after you performed the DB copy you should not open the databse. If you open your DR database then you need to again to DB copy from your prod DB.

There is a good documentation of dataguard oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/implementingdataguard-088127.html go through Oracle Data Guard Concepts and Administration

Answers (0)