cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on Understanding SAP TAO functionalities

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am a automation tester who is new to SAP TAO. Our team will shortly be working on a test automation project using TAO. I do not have access to SAP TAO yet. I have gone through the various files (PDFs, PPTs, Flash movies) available on the site to get to know what TAO is all about. I have following doubts w.r.t TAO functionalities:

1. Change Analyser & Inspection do the same job to find changes in the SAP system isnt it? How different are these two other than Change Analyser repairing the broken components?

2. What is the need for consolidation? We can directly upload transactions to QC isnt it (without consolidating)

3. Where does QTP come into picture here? Everything is between SAP TAO & QC isnt it? For the project purpose we have to integrate QTP with QC, isnt it? Or is it mandatory to have QTP.

4. Also I didnt understand the integration between UI Scanner & QTP.

These questions might seem too naive. But please help with my doubts & as how QTP is integrated with SAP TAO as none of us know much.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Soumya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please see my inline comments:

1. Change Analyzer & Inspection do the same job to find changes in the SAP system isnu2019t it? How different are these two other than Change Analyzer repairing the broken components?

Change Analyzer & Inspection both are different . Change Analyzer helps us to analyze the impact of changes due to upgrades, SAP patches or Custom development on a test, components or consolidated component.

Inspection - It is a another type of recording option using Screens & it enables us to select multiple SAP GUI screens and transactions for testing in an easy to use interface once you start inspect the transaction.

2. What is the need for consolidation? We can directly upload transactions to QC isnu2019t it (without consolidating)

you can do it but consolidation enhances the performance of an automated test script by removing the fields that are not required for a business process. It takes a test script and generates a master component that includes all the QTP code of every component, into a single one.

3. Where does QTP come into picture here? Everything is between SAP TAO & QC isnu2019t it? For the project purpose we have to integrate QTP with QC, isnu2019t it? Or is it mandatory to have QTP.

Yes it is mandatory to have QTP because all SAP TAO components built in QTP whenever you execute it runs the script in QTP and also if required you need to create your own components btw you also need to have BPT & Solman for enabling license.

4. Also I didnu2019t understand the integration between UI Scanner & QTP.

UI Scanner Scans most of the editable components of the SAP screen and creates component because when you launch UI Scanner, QTP also will open as I told you components are built in QTP.

These questions might seem too naive. But please help with my doubts & as how QTP is integrated with SAP TAO as none of us know much - see it helps.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just want to tell you installation is not an easy thing and it kills your time.

My suggestion is see SAP TAO installation guide and refer notes properly. And also you should have proper setup before you start installation like you should have all proper patches installed in ECC & Solution Manager (All pre-requisites are installed) so

please go through properly Guide and Notes.

Good luck

Ram

Edited by: Ram Challa on Dec 7, 2010 11:09 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Thanks for your reply...

I still have doubt and need clarifiction :

Q1. Does Inspection generate test scripts in QTP?

Q2. When you say: " you can do it but consolidation enhances the performance of an automated test script by removing the fields that are not required for a business process. It takes a test script and generates a master component that includes all the QTP code of every component, into a single one." Does this mean,

TAO generates a respective QTP code for various business components that we create using PFA/inspection? And when we create a Test Case in Test Plan & Consolidate it, does it consolidate those QTP scripts into one? Does consolidation remove the objects in Object Repository (QTP)that are not required for the test script execution?

Q3. When you say "Components are built in QTP" does it mean scripts & related object repository or built?

All my thought are revolving around how QTP is integrated with SAP TAO. Can any test case be maually executed using SAP TAO?

With regards to the Installaion, lead/manager will take care of it..

Cheers,

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Soumya u2013 After I read all your questions I understood is you need to know what is SAP TAO.

In a simple first assume you donu2019t have TAO. So what you will do is using QTP with SAP add-ins you will record a simple transaction login, some actions, logoff then you modify your script like adding parameterization, etc..then you will save the script into QC & from test lab when you click on Run, first QTP launches then it will execute and store the results in QC. If it complex scenario like New Hire, OTC cycle ..it will just take plenty of time to just recording a transaction & writing a VB code.

So now using SAP TAO when you install it, it will come with some default components of SAP like. Login, logoff, get text, set text etc..around some 326 as far as I know and some recording options like PFA, Inspection, UI Scanner etcu2026 some other features also have self check, change analyzer & Repository, Consolidation , so already components were built in SAP TAO using QTP now if we use SAP TAO it helps us without recording using QTP from scratch like basic components.

So now you know some components were built in SAP TAO now how do you execute it ? For this you need a QTP to launch the script and execute it ? Is this clear now?:)

Coming to PFA & Inspection u2013 these are two recording options in SAP TAO instead of using QTP with SAP add-ins & writing plenty of code in VB. You will just insert a transaction and record or inspect using SAP TAO then you will upload script into QC then after consolidation you will execute it from lab and when you click on run, QTP launches the script and execute. i.e. means. While you are recording a transaction using SAP TAO backend there is some script is generating in your words.

Coming to UI Scanner : it scans the screens i.e. means when you insert a transaction code when you click on execute , QTP will launch and generate a script here you will not touch with any QTP script once you scanned automatically scanned component will be uploaded into QC and when execute this , QTP will launch and execute the script.

Coming to Consolidation: Forget about all these Object Repository etc...In a simple Consolidation is nothing but you is just consolidating all your components in single component and making a final component and will increase the performance of the script. Ex: using PFA or UI Scanner you will record a transaction (i..e. Test scenario) then you will upload into QC. Then you will modify some changes to the scenario liking adding Logoff, Capture screen, Get Text etc...Then you will consolidate the script using SAP TAO then you will drag that into test plan then test lab and execute. Once you will execute QTP launches the script and execute the script. Removing components means for example using PFA you recorded a script there are unnecessary things like check transaction, messages etc...You don't need some times so u will remove those things in QC level and nothing to do with QTP here. QTP just comes into the picture when you will execute it from Lab only.

If you don't use consolidation option every time QTP initialize the script and execute every step so if you have 20 components added in your script so 20 times QTP initialize the script so that performance will be slow if you consolidate all , it will initialize once then execute rest of all scenario fast.

Just want to tell you never go for Inspection option for recording you should be very familiar with all screens and numbers then only you can make good script and its waste of so much time to identify all screen numbers and compare each. So better to go for UI Scanner or PFA. You should know when to use PFA and when to you use UI Scanner. PFA is good for if transaction has 20 to 30 screens like New Hire action. UI Scanner you can go for min screens. Ex: all P2P, OTC etc....& will not recommend using Inspection.

Any automation test script execution you need a QTP, think practically how can you execute a script with only QC & TAO is a just option where we can utilize existing components and can be used for easy instead of recording using QTP with SAP add-ins & writing plenty of VB code.

So now you will know your above question answers if you understood correctly

SAP TAO is a front end tool it integrates with QC, QTP & BPT.

Good luck.

Ram

Edited by: Ram Challa on Dec 8, 2010 12:35 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Thanks very much!! You are an eye opener! Now understood what SAP TAO is all about...

All this while I thought, SAP TAO creates Business Conponenents & we (automation tester) inturn have to generate scripts for it. I have worked on Embedded Domain & SAP testing is entirely new to me..

I shall keep ur suggesssions in mind about using PFA/Incpection/UI Scannrer. I'll only get to know them once I start using them for the project.

Looking forward to a good learning curve. Will come back to you when ever I need help.

Cheers,

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol..your welcome.... yes once you see the system you will know everthing .....

Good luck.

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can you pls confirm or correct me on my understanding..

SAP SolMan is integrated/used with SAP TAO in order to maintain Life Cycle(Management) or to traces the changes using transport .And Hence SolMan is not a mandatory requirement for SAP Automation using SAP TAO.

Thanks in Advance.

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Jyotsna,

Please do not ask a new question in an existing thread. Please see the rules of engagement for more information.

Please post your new question in a new thread, where I am sure others including myself will be happy to answer.

Also posting to a closed thread will not get much response.

Thank you kindly.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

My project is also implementing SAP TAO and I am new in this area. The information you provided in earlier post was very helpful. But I still have some doubts in my mind, if you could answer the same then it would be great for me.

1. PFA & Inspection - As you said these are the 2 recording options. What is the use of PFA over Inspection or viceversa. What is recommended to use.

2. Inspection & UI scanner - Again I can see there are 2 options in 'Inspection' tab. In project every one is confuse when to use 'Inspection' and when to use 'UI Scanner' and then we have PFA as well. Dont know how to manage.

3. Consolidation - As you said - Consolidation is nothing but you is just consolidating all your components in single component and making a final component. For example adding logoff screen, capture screen etc etc. But the same thing can be done using QC as well where we arrange all components in Test Lab to make a script. Then what is the advantage of consolidation through TAO. What is preffered? Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. How TAO repository is different then QTP repository?

5. Today when I was trying to record a transaction (VA01 - create Order) using Inspection and then UI Scanner, the inspection and scanning was successfull but got the error message

in Inspection it was 'Component upload failed; screen might be empty'

in UI Scanner it was 'Component cannot be created'

Please help me to resolve above issues/questions. I will be very thank ful to you.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Pradeep,

Please see my below answers:

1 . PFA & Inspection - As you said these are the 2 recording options. What is the use of PFA over Inspection or viceversa. What is recommended to use.

- Records the activities performed and create a components of the screen touched by the user.It also creates a excel sheet which contains the data entered by the users. This components can be uploaded into QC. It's a easy recording and time saving and if you have multiple screens , you can easily record with out spending much on time on building a test script using components. Even SAP recommends to use this option for recording.

2. Inspection & UI scanner - Again I can see there are 2 options in 'Inspection' tab. In project every one is confuse when to use 'Inspection' and when to use 'UI Scanner' and then we have PFA as well. Dont know how to manage.

- Inspection :insted of recording , it will enable us to select multiple SAP GUI screens and make a component. But based on the screen and number it's tough to identify which screen it belongs to. for example VA01 selection screen has some xxx number so you can select that screen and can do inspect so it will build a selection screen component insted of recording. but here challenge is you need to know the screen number if you go to SAP and system and status u will find the screen number based on that you need to select screens and it's just an option. But i dont recommend to use this option because so complex to know screen numbers and build a component on that.

UI Scanner: Scans most of the editable components of the SAP screen and creates component. like you can scan VA01 transaction code and build a component etc...

3. Consolidation - As you said - Consolidation is nothing but you is just consolidating all your components in single component and making a final component. For example adding logoff screen, capture screen etc etc. But the same thing can be done using QC as well where we arrange all components in Test Lab to make a script. Then what is the advantage of consolidation through TAO. What is preffered? Please correct me if I am wrong.

- First , you need to build a test script with componenets under test plan. i.e. it has some few componenets so you want to consolidate and make one single components i.e. using consolidation - it generates a master component that includes all the QTP code of every component, into a single one. advantage is enhances the performance.

4. How TAO repository is different then QTP repository?

- TAO Repository: Its part of SAP Solution manager system. Its used to store User interaction and sequence of the screens in a business proces. It also stores Information specific to SAP Test Acceleration and Optimization that cannot be retrieved by other tools. & you can repair your componenets. and its useful when you want to upgrade your TAO.

- QTP Repository: Simple you can add your objects into local or shared repository and you can make use o f this objects and build a script. you can google it , will have plenty of information on QTP object repository. it's a imp. concept.

5. Today when I was trying to record a transaction (VA01 - create Order) using Inspection and then UI Scanner, the inspection and scanning was successfull but got the error message in Inspection it was 'Component upload failed; screen might be empty'

in UI Scanner it was 'Component cannot be created'

Two things : one is, please see the log file or else check your error log report. and also try to upload once again and see if u receive any errors.

second things ,make sure your UI scanner folder path is correct and select UIScanner_10 folder in the path and check create component checkbox then try and still if it not working then there is a problem with your UI Scanner "Script.MTS' file. so if you go to programfiles under TAOUIScanner folder under Action1, you see "Scripts.MTS' file and you need to check that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Goodluck

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is very insightful..thank you!

I have a quick question - based on what you have mentioned, I take it that when using SAP TAO with QC BPT, QTP and SolMan for automation, there is really no need to have an SAP Add-in for QTP. The SAP Add in for QTP would come into picture only in the instance when one is directly using QTP to automate SAP processes.

Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you are right Arachana!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi archana,

SAP TAO UIscanner will utilize the SAP add-in for QTP to identify the objects in the SAP session. So still you need to SAP add-in for QTP when you using SAP TAO, QC BPT, solman.

UIScanner is nothing but a normal QTP script runs on the active screen of the SAP session. So if QTP wants to recognise the objects in the SAP session, it requires the SAP add-in for QTP else it will recognise as window objects.

In normal automation without using SAPTAO means, you have to write the code and develop the components and store them into QC. But in case if you use SAP TAO you just skipping the coding part. So you will go the TAO UIScanner and execute. So predefined code will be executed in behalf of user and creates the code and stores in QC.

Both the case QTP needs to recognise the SAP objects, so you need SAP add-in for QTP.

Thanks!

Manimaran

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Than q for giving info on SAP TAO

with regards

suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

just a quick note following the good explanations on this thread: you can use SAP TAO to generate automatic test cases. create test components by using Process Flow Analyzer (PFA). PFA records the business process flow: i.e create sales order, display sale documents. PFA also enables you to use additional check points in your test cases. The result of PFA is uploaded in QC test plan. Test cases uploaded to QC are components of SAP TAO library. it's recommended to consolidate components into one SAP TAO based test component. also, you can use TAO to generate TBOMs for your business blueprint object in SolMan if all test cases are connected to the business blueprint objects.