cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Crystal Reports version 8.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using legaly Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition and Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 for software developing and reporting.

My client usees a third party software with reports designed in Crystal Reports 8.5 and I have to create new reports for that application. My client has Crystal Reports 8.5 Runtime installed. I tested, if I install Cristal Reports 2008 Runtime for my new reports, the other reports in 8.5 version is not work correctly. The migration of the existing reports to new version of Crystal Reports is not possible.

My questions are:

1. I can legaly use Cristal Reports 8.5 developer software if I have Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008?

2. If I can, please tell me a link to download Crystal Reports 8.5.

3. Can I install Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime and Crystal Reports 8.5 Runtime on same computer and all the reports, designed in the two versions of Crystal Reports, to work correctly?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Some points that I would like to share:

1. I can legally use Crystal Reports 8.5 developer software if I have Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008?

Ideally No. VS2008 have been tested with Crystal that comes with VS2008 and CR2008 Sp0 or above. VS2008 might not get integrated with VS2008, which might lead to complexities.

2. If I can, please tell me a link to download Crystal Reports 8.5.

NA

3. Can I install Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime and Crystal Reports 8.5 Runtime on same computer and all the reports, designed in the two versions of Crystal Reports, to work correctly?

Some dlls or references like CrystalDecisions.CrystalReport.Engine will have multiple references in the application. In that case you can get a build or runtime error. Moreover the reports are not all upgraded. Complexities can arise. My suggestion is to get upgraded to CR for VS2008 and use single references. If you can keep them seperate, say in, modules of application, they might work fine(I am not sure of that, though).

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK. this post turned out to be longer than I intended, but I hope it clarifies your situation and options.

I am not sure what you mean when you say:

I tested, if I install Cristal Reports 2008 Runtime for my new reports, the other reports in 8.5 version is not work correctly.

But here is a stab at an answer; Reports created in Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008, can not be run by CR 8.5 as the file format is too different and CR 8.5 does not understand it.

Next time, it will be helpful to describe what is happening. Saying "...not work correctly" is pretty lame.

A few things I want to clarify:

I can legally use Crystal Reports 8.5 developer software if I have Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008?

- Yes, you can. What AG meant to say was that CR 8.5 can not / should not be used in .NET. Not tested, not supported. But you can install CR 8.5 and it will live quite happily side by side with Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008

If I can, please tell me a link to download Crystal Reports 8.5.

- Not sure what you are asking for. CR 8.5 had to be purchased. As it has been out of support for over 10 years now, you can not purchase it any more.

Can I install Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime and Crystal Reports 8.5 Runtime on same computer and all the reports, designed in the two versions of Crystal Reports, to work correctly?

CR 8.5 and Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008 will work side by side fine. However as I mentioned above, reports created in Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008 will not work with CR 8.5. Reports created in CR 8.5 will work in Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008.

Another point. I notice you say:

Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime

Very careful there as there is Crystal Reports 2008 (v 12.x) and the runtime would be Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime. There is a version of CR that bundles with VS 2008 (Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008) which as file version of 10.5 and thus a CR 10.5 runtime.

Finally, to what I think you are really after. Correct me if I am wrong:

1) You have a customer that has a 3rd party app built using CR 8.5

2) Neither you, not your customer have CR 8.5

3) You want to build additional reports for the customer

If my interpretation above is correct, then you are probably out of luck. As already mentioned, CR 8.5 is not available for purchase. Versions of CR later than CR 8.5 create rpt file formats that CR 8.5 does not udnerstand.

Your options:

1) Create a new app in .NET2008 using Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio .NET 2008. You have to use the CR assemblies for .NET and you can use the CR 8.5 reports and any new reports you might want to create.

2) Call sales (866-681-3435) and see if there is any way you can still purchase CR 8.5. Umm, don't hold your breath, but you never know...

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the interpretation is this:

1) My customer has a 3rd party app built using CR 8.5

2) Neither I, not my customer have CR 8.5

3) I want to build additional reports for my customer

If I build the new reports using Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 and I build a .NET application for this reports, I have to install the Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 Runtime on my customer's computer. In this case the existing 3rd party application's reports are not working. The problem with this CR 8.5 reports is than they don't get the parameter values from the application. If the CR 8.5 report don't have parameters, it is working with CR VS 2008 Runtime.

In this case the solution may be to migrate the CR 8.5 reports to CR VS 2008, but this is not possible because the 3rd party software must work with no changes.

The other solution may be to install the new reports and the .NET application on an other computer.

Please tell me if I have an other solution.

Thank you!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have never head of CR 10.5 runtime interfering with CR 8.5 runtime. You will need to give me more details re:

If I build the new reports using Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 and I build a .NET application for this reports, I have to install the Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008 Runtime on my customer's computer. In this case the existing 3rd party application's reports are not working. The problem with this CR 8.5 reports is than they don't get the parameter values from the application. If the CR 8.5 report don't have parameters, it is working with CR VS 2008 Runtime.

"...don't get the parameter values..."

So, what happens? Error? Incorrect data? Is the report prompting for a parameter (e.g.; ignoring the passed in parameter?)

One thing to confirm that CR 10.5 is not interfering here is to run the [Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip] utility;

1) Run the CR 8.5 app and process a report

2) Leave the app running

3) Start Modules

4) Go to the File menu and select Modules -> New List

5) Under processes select your process name

6) Go to the View menu and select Details

See the dlls loading. All CR dlls should be of version 8.5. No version 10.5 dll should be loaded.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the problem was than the report is ignoring the passed parameter and is prompting for a parameter.

I tried to figure out again the problem and I did. Checking with Modules I get CR version 8.5 for all DLLs. Perhaps I missed something before.

So the solution would be to deploy the new reports using CR10.5 with a distinct .NET application.

Thank you for your answers!

Mihaly

Answers (0)