cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC driver - how to choose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to discern the differences (pro or con) between using

A. IBM Toolbox for Java JDBC Driver (aka 5722JC1) - type 4 JDBC driver - OS-independent.

B. IBM Developer Kit for Java JDBC Driver - type 2 Native JDBC driver - only runs on iSeries - uses OS-dependent optimizations.

This 'choice' is part of the early stages of installation

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

yes, we see performance improvements with native driver, e.g. in EP ESS benchmark runs.

Best regards, Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doreen, Volker

Volker, I don't agree completely to your statement. Options A and B are equally tested in our labs. Maybe there are slight differences in test coverage but not by intention.

It is important to know the following regarding the drivers:

- Option A (toolbox driver) must be used when the system is distributed on multiple host (iSeries 3 tier, Linux or Windows App Servers)

- Option B (native driver) offers performance benefits

So, if it is planned to run the system on one single host, I'd prefer the native driver. For 3-tier or App Servers, toolbox driver must be chosen.

However, if you have installed a native driver system and want to install an App Server some time later, you can always switch to toolbox, SAP note 826449 describes how to do that.

Best regards, Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

thank you very much for your bringing light into the shadow ))

But, did you really see performance differences in your measurements during your tests or is this just the idea, that a native driver "needs to be faster" ?

thanks

volker güldenpfennig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doreen,

I don't know if this is really mentioned in the installation guide, but I can strongly suggest to use option A, the Toolbox driver. This one is supposed to be more or less equal in speed in the meantime and what is far more important: It is tested at IBM and SAP in the labs. The other one should run but is far less tested.

Therefore, you should go for Option A even in a total iSeries environment.

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig