cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC 5.0 and SAP solution manager 7.0 on same hardware .. DB conflict ?

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

We have intalled SAP Solution Manager on a machine (Solman 7.0 EHP1, win Server 2003 64 bit and MSSQL 2005).

Now we want to installe SAP ECC 5.0 on the same machine.

We would like to to have two separate DB but on the same disk. Let say 😧

The DB software should be instelled on C:

Our problem is: When we try to intall MSSQL (DB Software) for ECC 5.0 the system knows that there is already installed and the installation stops.

The system detects a SQL Server Central instance (default, which is required for SAP Solution Manager.

We cannot choose another SID for DB because SAP recommed default.

Have you any idea to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

HanseAtik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When we try to intall MSSQL (DB Software) for ECC 5.0 the system knows that there is already installed and the installation stops.

The system detects a SQL Server Central instance (default, which is required for SAP Solution Manager.

We cannot choose another SID for DB because SAP recommed default.

This doesn't sound right to me... you can choose the SID for your solman without any problems.

Been in different DB's you won't have the issues that you find in MCOD installations and as long as you have enough resources is up to you where to install it.

Having said that, hardware is cheap and well worth it.

Regards

Juan

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hu Juan,

the problem is not the SID for the SAP Software. We are not yet there.

The Problem is now by the installation of the DB Software. The SID for the MSSQL Central instance which is normaly "default".

We can not use "default" for both SAP Solman and SAP ECC.

The step now is to installe MSSQL Server 2005 which is asking to choose default or to give another SID FOR DB.

If we choose default the system does not accept it because there is already a DB with default SID. If we choose another SID for DB then SAP (while we install ECC ) will not accept it because it recommend default.

I hope its clear now.

Thanks in advance

HanseAtik

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just had a look at the inst guide, and it says we "recommend" you to use the default... meaning that you can change it if theres a requirement for it... which seems to be the case.

Regards

Juan

0 Kudos

Hanse,

1) You have to install a second instance (of SQL Server) first, and use it as "named instance".

2) I agree with Juan, having two SAP systems in a same machine is not a good idea, as

it will be very resources demanding.

Solman is ABAP and Java always, and Java alone use lots of memory. Plus the SQL Server, plus

ABAP, two times...

Other example, for new systems (as from NW 7.01), you have to install ABAP and JAVA in separated machines, side-by-side.

Regards,

Carlos

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I think my question is not clear

I already installed Solman and its running. And we used the default name for the MSSQL Instance.

My question is: During the installation of SAP ECC 5.0. this means:

1) Installation of MSSQL Instance

2) Installation of ECC 5.0 Software

by the installation of the MSQL Instance I get the question if I want to use default name for the DB instance (which is not possible because its already used for DB instance for Solman instance) or another SID.

And my question: Is it ok to use another SID? (Think that DB name and SAPSID should be the same for SAP).

if yes, why its saying that SAP recommend default? Does this will make me problem with SAP later?

This is what is making me afraid and that why I am trying to get a help to be sure that this is possible and will not make any problems for SAP.

I hope its clear now

Best regards

HanseAtik

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And my question: Is it ok to use another SID? (Think that DB name and SAPSID should be the same for SAP).

Is perfectly ok to use another SID.

if yes, why its saying that SAP recommend default? Does this will make me problem with SAP later?

As I mentioned before is simply a recommendation it doesnot suggest that you'll find problems in the future.

Regards

Juan

Answers (0)