cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC sender adapter question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

if we take RFC as sender adapter for communication. from PI aspect, the trigger mechanism is pull or push?

in sender RFC configuration, we need to specify Application Server (Gateway), Application Server Service (Gateway), Program ID, Application Server, System Number and logon credentials. it is more like a pull mode, but i do not see any polling interval to be set, how does PI know when the data is ready?

if the data is pushed from RFC sender system to PI, then there is no need to use a sender RFC channel as in SAP server the destination (PI) information of the RFC is already configured.

Does someone can answer my query? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically,

1. RFC Sender channel is a SERVER (deployed in PI JAVA STACK which gets registered with SAP R/3 as per channel configuration e.g., program ID, hostname, gateway etc..). PUSH MECHANISM FROM SAP R/3 to SAP PI

2. RFC receiver channel is a CLIENT. PULL/PUSH MECHANISMS FROM SAP PI to SAP R/3 depending on sync/async modes.

Edited by: Praveen Gujjeti on Dec 3, 2010 11:08 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, thanks a lot for all your answers.

then here's my final question.

SAP side executes the RFC function and sends the data to PI, that is called "push".

the only reason for configuring all the system information, log credential information in sender RFC channel is the RFC adapter exist on Java Stack not Abap Stack, Am i correct?

Edited by: Aditya Mutyala on Dec 3, 2010 10:40 AM

former_member207622
Contributor
0 Kudos

yes RFC adapter resides on java stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since RFC adapter is on J2EE stack, so RFC sender adapter config is required so that a connection is formed between ECC and XI so that ECC can send the data to XI......

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

in sender RFC configuration, we need to specify Application Server (Gateway), Application Server Service (Gateway), Program ID, Application Server, System Number and logon credentials. it is more like a pull mode, but i do not see any polling interval to be set, how does PI know when the data is ready?

You would need to create a program that would trigger the Function Module and use the TCP/IP RFC destination you have configured in SM59.

if the data is pushed from RFC sender system to PI, then there is no need to use a sender RFC channel as in SAP server the destination (PI) information of the RFC is already configured.

The RFC adapter lies in the Java stack, that is why you would still need to configure the sender channel RFC in PI. Otherwise the connection will not work.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply.

however i would like to ask, as a conclusion, it is pi pull the data from SAP or SAP push the data to PI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

The RFC function module executes based upon your inputs, If you provide the Input data, it gives the output results.

If XI provide the Input data to RFC and getting the response back from RFC-- XI Pull the data from RFC

"Push the data from RFC" means If SAP side executes the function module every day and get the data from RFC.

Normally when we are working on RFC scenarios we just follow the first method only. This easy to get the from RFC.

Thank you,

Sateesh

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

What Sateesh has said is correct. In your case, since the Function Module is the sender, it will be pushing data into PI.

Regards,

Mark