Visual Studio Crashing when open an existing crystal report.

I am running windows 7 64 bit with visual studio 2010. I have previously used crystal reports xi r2 to do our reporting, but I wanted to upgrade to the latest release with our upgrade to visual studio 2010. I installed crystal reports 2010 on my machine, and when I open the project it prompts me to upgrade it, which I choose to do. I cam able to open and work with a new file, and set the database location without a problem, and I am able to open an existing report which was created with an older version of crystal, HOWEVER when I try to set the datasource location on an older file or run the database expert with the existing report, it causes visual studio to crash saying that an external component has encountered an error. I am able to create a new report without a problem and set the datasource on that new report, but I am unable to edit the existing reports.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing to no effect.

I am not sure if this is the same problem as thread number 1829738, but since I am able to edit new reports, I thought it was a little bit different than what they are seeing. Also, as it was suggested in that thread, if I rename the sax dll, I am unable to open any old reports, and visual studio gives me an error that it is unable to open the file, but without crashing.

Any suggestions that you can give me to get this resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Helpful Answer