cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Databases One Instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is it possible to have multiple MaxDB databases installed within one MaxDB instance? Everything I've read about MCOD leads me to avoid this if possible; however, budget limitations leave our hardware lacking the ability to host multiple DB instances.

It will be a NetWeaver WebAS ABAP and a NetWeaver WebAS J2EE instance being installed (ECC and EP). I've worked with MCOD systems before, and system copies were cumbersome. More or less I did a DB specific migration for the ABAP, and then did a R3Load for the J2EE. If that is the only option, then that is the only option. I would just like to be able to document this ahead of time.

Thank you,

Zach

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is possible. Check this presentation about MCOD (Oracle and MaxDB: http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=31&ved=0CBYQFjAAOB4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmydoag.doag.org%2Ff...

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Thank you for the reply. I'm going through this presentation; however, it looks very familiar. MCOD does allow

for different SAP components to be independently installed into 1 MaxDB instance, but is it possible to do system

refreshes of these servers easily? If I remember correctly, I was able to use the SAP provided tools for the first

component. But every other component had to be done independently using R3Load because the SAP Tool

using database specific copies required initialization (formatting) of the database.

I've been reading a current post in this forum regarding features of MaxDB 7.8. I suppose the question is now:

what is the lesser evil? MCOD (NetWeaver WebAS ABAP & NetWeaver WebAS J2EE) or each component in

its own MaxDB instance on the same host.

Thanks,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Zach,

I found a blog which describes a way of system refreshes on MCOD: /people/rishi.narayanan3/blog/2010/04/12/my-tryst-with-an-mcod-db-refresh

Don't know if this is what you are looking for...

One other thing I found, is the Tablespace Point-in-Time Recovery. Theoretically spoken, this could be used for MCOD system refreshes. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/2b/9608bc643c0240a70464249fc677e0/frameset.htm

In case you have to perform refreshes on a frequent basis, I think it will be "less evil" to run multiple separate databases on one host, instead of MCOD.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Thanks again for more literature. Rashi's blog post has some very valid points. It definitely looks like

the best choice is installing multiple instances of MaxDB per server rather than install multiple

components in one database. Since the first install is for sandbox, it will not be a big deal if it doesn't

perform all that well.

Regarding the point in time restoration of a tablespace, I believe that is limited to Oracle....

Thank you for your input,

Zach

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks again for more literature. Rashi's blog post has some very valid points. It definitely looks like

> the best choice is installing multiple instances of MaxDB per server rather than install multiple

> components in one database. Since the first install is for sandbox, it will not be a big deal if it doesn't

> perform all that well.

Correct!

> Regarding the point in time restoration of a tablespace, I believe that is limited to Oracle....

True. And it's still a very bad idea to do that in a SAP landscape.

Although your database may be consistent afterwards, your landscape won't!

regards,

Lars