cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 CONNECTION TIME OUT - Dynamically change icm/conn_timeout

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey ,

im running WDA in sap gui . ( via transaction ) .

when i process the transaction for the first time i get a dump with error message 500 CONNECTION TIME OUT.

after reviewing sap help and other posts in sdn i saw its possible to pass the parameters "timeout" and

keep alive dynamically.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw72/helpdata/en/48/3d14a3b08c72d1e10000000a42189c/content.htm

can anyone please post sample code ?

i want to reestablish connection every time the WDA is about to exceed the paramters limits .

best regards ,

ASA.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Not sure what your WDA does that makes it so slow, but you can use COMMIT WORK as a dirty trick to reset the timer to prevent your application from timing out. If and where you want to use it, is up to you.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Roel

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey !

thanks for your reply ,

the WDA runs a BDC and in some cases exceed the timr limit .

the problem is that i cant control the time limits in the middle of the BDC but great idea !

are you sure commit will reset the connection ?

any others ideas ? ? ?

THANKS !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

checked it ===> dosnt work !

but what is the triger for the time out ? how " the connection parnter " is checked ??

tnx.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can increase the ICM timeout value through Profile parameters. Steps ton increase the parameter is:

1. Tcode RZ10

2. Menu- Goto-> Profile Values-> Of a server

3. Ctrl+F-> give timeout as the search term

4. You will find the ICM timeout parameter in the list

5. Copy paste the exact paramter name.

6. Come bac to RZ 10, Select instance profile, Extended maintainence option.

7. New parameter option. Give the copied paramter value here. Next line specify the value you want to maintain. Default is 60s. You can increase to ex:600s.

8. Save and restart the system.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

i want to change it dynamically only within my WDA.

according to ours system team the parameter is set for every client and its not recommended to increase the value

for all the WDA.

what is the meaning of instance profile definition - can i obtain this definition in reference to my WDA and it will

not effect other WDA ?

tnx ,

ASA.

p/s - thomas this problem posted again and again without solution.

can you only mention if its possible or not ?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No you can not change the ICM parameter dynmamically. It must be changed in the instance profile and the ICM restarted. Also this parameter value effects all SICF nodes (Web Dynpro, BSP, ITS, custom handlers, and web services). You can set the timeout within transaction SICF for a single node, but you are only allowed to set a lower timeout not a longer one.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Instead of running the BDC directly within the processing of the Web Dynpro, you should consider spawning it as a separate task. Either use CALL FUNCTION ... STARTING NEW TASK or submit the action as a background job. This will free the work process that is running the Web Dynpro UI and run the BDC itself in a separate work process. It might require some wrapper code around the BDC to record its status and output into a temporary table. You could then use the timedTrigger (or in 7.02 the Notification Service) to check on the running status of the BDC periodically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey thomas ,

i didnt mentioned it but i'm using RFC ( tried with/without starting new task ) to run the BDC and still i get the connection time out .

the RFC is called several times and each time i'm getting the time stamp before and after the call function and any way use COMMIT WORK after the BDC run .

what is the trigger to the time out ? why using "dirty tricks" and try to go around the problem ?>

i found in protal forum some post that it is possible to dynamic increment of timeout value :

/message/9766695#9766695 [original link is broken]

can you elaborate on this solution ?

many thanks ;

ASA

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>the RFC is called several times and each time i'm getting the time stamp before and after the call function and any way use COMMIT WORK after the BDC run .

The commit work isn't going to help. The problem is that the dialog work process that the WDA is running within doesn't respond back to the ICM soon enough and the ICM closes the connection to the client. You need to free the WDA work process and end the phase model. Running the individual BDCs via RFC won't help if the WDA event handler is still waiting for the completion of the loopo of BDC calls. You would need to move the entire processing loop into background processing instead. The key here is to end the processing loop within the WDA event handler so that control can return to the browser.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> You would need to move the entire processing loop into background processing instead. The key here is to end the processing loop within the WDA event handler so that control can return to the browser. <<

hey ,

if i enable the RFC ( that includes the BDC ) in background mode it dosn't works well -

my BDC suppose to go through some screens and in the end export to memory a value that depends on the BDC run .

in background mode it dosnt get to the part that i export to memory .

can you elaborate on how to process this part in background mode ?

any how ;

why i cant pass this parameters dynamicly as mentioned in the above help ?

many thanks .

ASA.

Edited by: ASA MOKED on Dec 16, 2010 6:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

one more thing :

are we talking about the same timeout parameters ?

can i get the time out value and change it in the same way ?

BR

ASA