cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to analyse the main memory usage in SAP ERP systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear expert,

I'm doing a research work about analysing the main memory usage in SAP ERP systems.

I would like to find out what is load in buffers and when. That means, which process have the control of these memories and which are always performing something, tables loaded, and so on. Becuase I tried to isolate the space needed by a simple webservice call (create one material) in my test system, but even after a $SYN there are something stored in the buffers. I use a BAPI to avoid the execution of the SAPGUI and its repercussion in the system (I know the BAPI called uses resources too, but when I run this BAPI to get the statistics, it's like ST02, I get different values). Could someone help me or recommend something specific to read? Thanks a lot in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Memory management is a vast topic in SAP, it depends what exactly you are looking for? is there any dump or system logs in SAP? Do search for 'memory management' on help.sap.com you will get the details on what are the parameters and setting you have to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer.

What I have to do is this:

1. Analysis of the components of the response time of an ERP system

2. Analysis of main memory used in an ERP system rates

3. Measurement of main memory used per request

a. Development of generic theoretical basis for measurement methods

b. Creation of a measuring instrument for the main memory requirements

4. Analysis of the impact of different memory configurations on the response time.

a. Identification Workload

b. Identify meaningful when memory configurations

c. Analysis of the behavior of systems with memory constraints

And I am trying to know (isolate) the memory that is used, for example to create a material (I use a simple webservice call). But I don't know how can I identify the memory used by one process or by another one. With ST02, for example, I get the total memory used in buffers, for example in TTAB, but I want to know how many KB are stored in TTAB by my call. And I do a $SYNC to reset the buffers, but it's always something stored there (I know that my ST02 call occupies some memory too, but it increases even when I call nothing - I use a test system). Could you help me? Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use ST03 to response time.

Which system you have? in windows you configure zero memory management (PHYS_MEMSIZE). And in UNIX you need to run the command 'sappfpar check pf=<instance_profile>' This will show you how much memory configured.

You can also use sm04 --> goto --> memory to see how much memory user has occupied.

If you check your ST02 you can see how you memroy is configured (under current parameters). You also see the how much %free memory you have in each buffer area.

If you go through the link and spend some time reading, all your queries should resolve. If you still have any then do not hesitate to ask.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering so soon.

I would like to know the memory used by a process or a webservice called, (I am not sure) but with these transactions, you told me, the memory is dealed in a globlal view, and I think if a user has X MB in memory, maybe not only the transaction or calls he made are reflected there, but the other processes related to log on and other things that use memory too has a weight in this X MB value. So how could I call, for example MM03, and then find out how much memory has it used (in each buffer)? Thanks in advance.

PS: My system is for test purpose, not one in a company or something like that. I am the only one using it.