Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help about best practices - Add DI or add WP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am facing on a strategic problem.

We want to add new application Server (= Instance Dialog) to our CI/DB.

But I am note sure that is the good way!

Is it better to add New Work Process in existing Dialog Instance?

Or, should we create another DI in the same physical host?

I have to explain the both scenarii with features.

Could you please help me to have the best practice in this situation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Hocine NAÏ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We have Sap ECC6 u2013 AIX 5.3. Today we have 3 AS (2 Linux sans one Aix). The goal is to eliminate the Aix AS. In each AS we have 5O WP. What is the highest number of WP allowed?

And we have two opinion within my company :

==> The first is we have to add another AS in the same server than existing one. It was justified by the fact that we have enough available memory!

==> The second is to increase the both linux AS by adding 25 WP by AS. I am not sure but I read that the WP limitation number is 600! Is it right.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

Hocine

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>What is the highest number of WP allowed?

You can have maximum 100 WP each app server, if you have sufficient memory/resources/cpu.

Whats the current CPU/memory utilization of your linux AS? check in st06n. You should not overload your OS if you do not have sufficient resources.

I suggest you add more WPs and tune your memory on linux servers. Also perform sappfpar check (command: sappfpar check pf=<instance_profile>) before you restart your AS. Once your Linux AS are up and you are happy all looks good then shutdown the AIX AS and see the performance for a week or two. Make sure you delete the AIX AS from the background job groups and load balancing.

>>I am not sure but I read that the WP limitation number is 600! Is it right.

If you read the documentation for parameter rdisp/wp_no_dia in RZ11 you will get the answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Depends on your system load if you too many users logged on then good to have a additional DI server. But must be on different physical server.

If it is not possible to have an additional physical server for your DI then do not install on same CI server. Just increase the WPs. Whats your OS and SAP version?

How may WPs you have? whats going on in SM50? have you obsrved that all the WPs are occupied by users? Is there any performance issue with your database?