How to size images for use in Publisher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First I have read all the manuals!

But I still have a question about image sizes

from the manual:

Setting Image Print Size

When you publish an image to a printed publication, it is placed onto the paper using the image print size you specify for the image, as described in this section.

To set the image print size of one or more images (for publications):

In the Records pane, select the image record(s) whose print size you want to set.

2. Double-click on the Print Size cell in the Record Detail pane, or choose Objects > Image > Set Print Size from the main menu to open the Image Print Size dialog shown in Figure 136.

-

When I try to set the print size of a logo, it is still affected in size by the image variant i choose.

So how can i secure that a logo is the same height, when i change the variant

the variants are scaled

would it be possible to use the original image and simply set the image size via the "print size" function?

and thereby keep EPS, CMYK. etc.

When i try different image variants i get different image sizes in the spread, no matter which print size i set.

/Kurt

I use MDM 7.1.03.53

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kurt,

In order for Publisher to adhere to the image print size in MDM 7.1, the following steps should be followed:

1.In MDM Publisher- Configuration -Options, set "Trim Images of Default Size"=Yes.

2. Close Publisher.

3. Clear the content of the image cache folder (e.g.

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user>\Local

Settings\Temp\MDM7.1Publisher\<your repository>)

4.Reopen Publisher.

The images should appear at print size setup.

Please let me know if this is successful.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hedda

Thanks a lot

the clear cache did the job.

some other questions I have:

If you have several users using the same image rep. and they want different sizes of images.

Do they need to resize the images in the spread in order not to destroy other users preferred images sizes?

or do they have to use the images variants and scale them to make their on set of "default" images sizes,

and at the same time not use the "Trim Images of Default Size"=Yes" function?

What i'm looking for is this:

How can different users use the same images in the smartest way and at the same time produce spreads

without having to do manual sizing and thereby destroy the "automated" layout of the families.

I want to place and flow the families with as little manual intervention as possible.

the solution we had before MDM, was able to paginate into Indesign and it was 98% done,

using predefined styles with hires image fit to frames, flow and grow text frames, span tables over pages, reduce white space etc. (Easycatalog)

I know sp04 and sp05 might help me in this area.

when I try to "save as template" i get this error msg.

Error adding New template Node

Illegal value for parameter, Version 7.1 (7.1.03.53)

do you know why?

/Kurt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kurt,

Generally, an item's Display Name language inheritance (for this matter an attribute as well) follows the language inheritance of the repository.

(Language inheritance is define in the repository level at Console).

For example, if a repository's primary language is English and French is inherited from English (Secondary language) . Then, changing the default Display Name of an item in French will not affect the English layer Display Name . But, changing the default Display Name of an item in English will propagate to the French layer Display Name UNLESS the french layer default is already modified.

Therefore, I would like to ask- if you change the Primary language layer's Display Field, does it influence the secondary language layer's Display Field?

(A first change of only the Primary language layer is expected to be propagated to the secondary language ).

If so, what is the exact version you are using? I will try a small example with the same version you are using to see if I can reproduce this issue. Is so, I believe this should be fixed.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kurt,

Glad to hear it helped.

Regarding your questions:

1. If you need different sizes of the same images for different purposes then the most efficient way to manage it is with the image variants.

When you create image variants (in the console) you can already define the wanted sizes.

The, for different purposes you can create different publications and switch in the same publication between the imgae varinats.

This is controlled via the publisher Item Properties- >Images root. You can there set what image variants all the images in the publication should take.

On each image variant you can set individually, if needed, a different print size.

MDM manages image varants very effectively.

2.Regarding the error message- please see if its reproducible with the latest SP03 HF.

If so, please open a CSS ticket as this should be the behavior.

Thanks,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Hedda

Sorry to keep asking you questions that ought to be in different threads,

but I ran into another problem

In the publisher we are using the feature "Display Name" in the default items pane in <Family Hierarchy>

we want to do this as high in the structure so we don't have to do in all publications.

when I want to change the display name in one language like "List Price" to "Liste Pris" it works ok and it will be inherited to all the publications i make. (part of the main table values in a qualified table)

But when I want to do the same with the taxonomy attributes in <Family Hierarchy> and i do it during login to specific language, the change becomes global, meaning all other languages gets the translation and this is a problem for us

If this is the only way to change the attribute name, then we need to do it for all new publications in all languages, and can not use the inherit feature.

you might ask why do we need to change the display name of a lot of attributes.

this is because of the shortcomings of the MDM datamanager, when using a complicated outside attribute structure.

We need to keep track of the external attribute ID, because we later need to syndicate to outside systems. (ETIM BMEcat)

And since the system does not allow the "alias" to be syndicated, then we keep it in the name and later cleanse it.

we have a mix of text, numeric, range, logical attributes and 6300 of them.

example:

original value: Contact material_EF004019

new value: Contact material

in 6 different languages

/Kurt