Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Growth after CU&UC Migration

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Last summer, we have upgraded our SAP 4.7 system Non Unicode to SAP ECC6 Ehp4 Unicode.

Since then, the database is growing extremely rapidly.

I remember reading that you may need 20 - 40 % more space for your monthly growth due to the Unicode,

but is there any SAP document that would provide precise examples : benchmark, etc ... ?

Thank you.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might also want to check SAP note 73606 - in the attachment you will find the document Unicodesystems.pdf. In that document look up section Hardware Requirements: Non-Unicode - Unicode compared. This might be what you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

According to the link you provide, the database size migh increase just after the unicode migration operation

+UTF-8 : up to 10%

The size of the database might even shrink (which was our case) at the end of the migration operation

UTF-8 and CESU-8: -13% (more than 90% of the databases have shrunk)

Actually, I was more thinking about mid-term growth, we have perfromed the migration

four months ago. The database size has decrased at the time (1200 Mb-->1000Mb),

now the database size has reached 1500 Mb (+66%), and nothing has changed in users behaviour.

and as you can imagine , I have to explain why the sudden growth sicne the migration.

Are there any benchmark provided my SAP ?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suggest you use ST04 -> Space -> Segements -> Details Overview to check for the largest tables in your db. Once you identify those you can start analysing their specific growth in ST04 as well. It should be easy to find out who or which application is responsible for that table growth. Then you have the argument you're looking for.

Also check the indices belonging to those tables. Maybe they grew a lot as well. You can rebuild the indices with brtools if you find that some might have gotten out of hand.

Kind regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer section "Expected Hardware Requirements u2013 Database Size" of this useful SDN Document [Conversion of SAP Systems to Unicode|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0ff71ca-1d11-2a10-6a93-88662a6e7bc9?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]. The document contains the information about the responsible factors for DB growth after Unicode conversion.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff