Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WEBAS 620 MDMP system to NW 7.0 unicode conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are upgrading our GTS 3.0 non unicode system on WEBAS 620 (Windows 2003Server) to

GTS 8.0 unicode system on NW 7.0 (UNIX-solaris)

I am performing the below steps as part of combined upgrade and unicode conversion guide.

1) RUN pre-conversion scans on webas 620 system

2) run prepare for GTS 8.0 upgrade

3) upgrade to GTS 8.0

4) run Unicode finish preperation steps

5) run unicode export

6) run unicode import to target system

My questions is:

After finishing upgrade I have seen many new tables received initial status in SPUMG

I have already included the transport suggested by upgrade guide to handle the language entries added by upgrade guide.

I was wondering why many tables have received inital state after upgrade?

Do I need to rerun all pre-conversion scans again after upgrade and before export? to handle the tables in initial status?

as this this is combined upgrade and unicode conversion procedure?

or can I proceed with export, with tables remaining in initial state? Can you please clarify?

I have run the UMG_FINISH prepearation programs per upgrade guide already but still some tables in SPUMG in initial status

Can you please clarify? It is not mentioned in unicode conversion guide, if I need to rerun all the pre-conversion scans

after upgrade again for combined upgrade and unicode conversion procedure?

Regards,

Venkat Yalla

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

in CU&UC guide you will find the following statements:

Begin: Excerpt:

UMG_FINISH_PREPARATION consists of three steps. Make sure that each step is successfully finished before you proceed with section 6!

1. Update of the SPUMG worklist. This step also includes update of the Unicode nametab.

2. Consistency Check for tables which have been added during the upgrade.

3. Merge of the SPUMG control tables which have been created before and after the upgrade.

Note:

After this step all tables must be displayed with Status "green".

End: Excerpt.

Therefore I would recommend to check whether all steps of UMG_FINISH_PREPARATION has been executed successfully.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

4 REPLIES 4

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

in CU&UC guide you will find the following statements:

Begin: Excerpt:

UMG_FINISH_PREPARATION consists of three steps. Make sure that each step is successfully finished before you proceed with section 6!

1. Update of the SPUMG worklist. This step also includes update of the Unicode nametab.

2. Consistency Check for tables which have been added during the upgrade.

3. Merge of the SPUMG control tables which have been created before and after the upgrade.

Note:

After this step all tables must be displayed with Status "green".

End: Excerpt.

Therefore I would recommend to check whether all steps of UMG_FINISH_PREPARATION has been executed successfully.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Hi Nils,

Thanks for responding to my question.

I have run UMG_FINISH preperation in correct order and in sequence as suggested.

All the tables under consistency check are green, but there are some new entries brought in with inital status

under tabs: Tables without LAng info, Tables with Ambigous lang info, Index analysis and tables with language info

in txn code: SPUMG after upgrade.

Does some tables remaning in intial state is normal behaviour after upgrade? or do I need to rerun all the consistency checks

manually to fix these tables?

I have run all the steps you suggested per CUUC guide but still these table described above are in initial state.

Has anyone noticed this behaviour in combined upgrade and unicode conversion?

Regards,

Venkat Yalla

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can some one who already performed combined upgrade and unicode conversion of MDMP

system respond to above question.

I would need to proceed with the new build and would like to know becuase rerunning pre-conversion scans

again after upgrade and before export will add up my overall downtime.

Regards,

Venkat Yalla

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

the important scan for the export here is the consistency check. Here, all tables should have status "green".

If a table has the status initial in the other scans, this mainly means that R3Load will convert the content with the fallback code page and in case of content with special characters, these entries will come up in SUMG after the Unicode conversion.

However the assumption is that this is only a small number of entries. But in your case with GTS, there is only limited experience - this is not a standard case as MDMP was never released for GTS ( see SAP note 823110).

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG