Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB Restore

former_member184628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Our SAP BI Server with DB as Oracle and OS is windows 2003 crashed last year.

We dont have either SAP backup or Oracle DB Backup, but we have complete oracle file system preserved ( Containing all control file, datafiles and other files) i.e. oracle directory used by the previously installed SAP BI. We dont have any registry backup also.

Now we have installed New SAP with same SID, same Hostname.

My question is(sounds little confusing), Can I restore the old system files into the newly installed system.?

Best Regards

Sharib Tasneem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you can. I have done with the similar case, but I haven't reinstall SAP, only restore SAP from backup.

things to be considered :

- Oracle configuration (SID, tablespace name, number of datafiles etc) should be exactly match with the sets of datafiles you have. The key point here is : your Oracle configuration for your new installation must be exactly same with old files you have.

- If you have complete sets of offline redologs (archivelog) you can bring your data to the nearest point before it crashed. From mount state, try to recover database using backup controlfile you have, it will reduce data loss, and after all archivelog is applied, alter your database to open state.

- If you have no archivelog you just can bring your database until the last successfull backup. Just restore it, and try to open it.

- To maintain controlfile and datafile consistencies, use the same set of controlfile and datafile. do not mix it. Or if your controlfile is missing, just re-create it, and try to bring the database up with new controlfiles.

- Once you can bring the database up, you just try to communicate it with SAP. R3trans will help you to check database and SAP connectivity.

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if Oracle was down while you backed up Oracle files, you will be able to recover/restore from that backup.

if system was online during backup, you are scr*wed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharib,

yes you can restore the backup using backup and restore method using SAP Master and Kernel CDs

using sapinst (system copy using restore and backup)-import into target

with the help of sapinst and in the middle it shall prompt you to restore from the backup of the source system.Please restore the offline backup of the source system on the target system.

Then it shall prompt you the message that which all schema you want to drop.Drop the schema of the source system only.

I hope u remember DDIC password for the client 000

all the best

Cheers

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Our SAP BI Server with DB as Oracle and OS is windows 2003 crashed last year.

last year???

anyway, the filesystem backup which you have is when database is offline or online? if the database was down then you can use the backup else not.

BTW why you want to do like this.