cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between OB08 and OBBS

former_member195383
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I want to maintain the exchange rate between currency CLP and HUF.

on that context I want to know what is the difference between the tcodes,

OB08(Currency exchange rates) and OBBS(currency translation).

What appeared to me was, exchange rate and currency translation are both same.

Kindly explain the difference?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rudra,

For any new currency that you want to introduce against your excahange rate type, you need to define the translation ratios first in OBBS.

For example some currency may have 100:1 or some may have 1:1. so system takes the base for conversion from here, and once the ratios are maintained here, you can maintain the exchange rates in OB08.

At the time of posting, system picks up translation from OBBS and then the rate that is maintained in OB08 to post the amount.

OBBS is a pre -requisite to OB08.

Regards,

SAPFICO

former_member195383
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, maintaining in OBSS should be enough. When we post certain X amount in CLP, the system will know, this X CLP = Y HUF.

so that much should be enough. I am a bit confused, regarding, maintaining OB08 again. What do we mean by this rate?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

no, OBBS ist not enough: OBBS sets (for example) CLP : HUF, X:Y, 1:1 but OB08 sets 25*X CLP = Y HUF so the FX rate entry of 25 CLP = HUF is done in OB08 whereas the CLP / HUF factors set as 1/1 is made in OBBS.

If you maintain only OBBS you will get a message lieke (FX rate is missing for CLP/HUF,...)

Best regards, Christian

Edited by: Christian Ortner on Nov 29, 2010 10:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rudra,

Maintaining OBBS is not enough. You need to maintain the conversion amount in OB08.

In OBBS > You maintain ratio of conversion

In OB08> You maintain Rate

If you just maintain Conversion ratio and do not maintain rates, how would system know how many CLP is equal to HUF.

Regards,

SAPFICO

former_member195383
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basically, I am confused about the existence of two transactions here.

Why cant we maintain CLP/HUF = 25:1 in OBSS itself? Why we have go for another transaction, while maintaining 1:1 in the other?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

because SAP allows you to determine in OBBS how much units from CLP are how much units HUF (you can set it as 1:1 but also 10000 : 1 is possible, or 1000:100 if you want to confuse everybody) and the exchange rate based on your relation is entered in OB08 (because if its 1:1 than 25 CLP might be one HUF, if the relation is 1000:100 the rate is 250 CLP = HUF do get the same result). in OB08 the entreis of OBBS are dsiplayed ibut not editable.

Such relations of (eg) 1000:1 can be helpful if you have one weak currency and one strong currency, because the ere are only 5 decimal places available for currency rate maintenance but with thie "trick" you can create more accurate curr. conversion calculation.

Best regards, Christian

former_member195383
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ok..thanks...So OB08 is to add more accuracy in the conversion..If I correctlty understand.

Another thing, suppose, the user tells, we have to 1 CLP = 1 HUF.

So is it enough if I maintain it in OBSS ? No need to again maintain any rate in OB08..right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

once again: NO.

If the ex.rate is 1 CLP = 1 HUF you first need an entry in OBBS.

If the OBBS entry defines the relation CLP / HUF is 1:1 than the mandatory OB08 entry is CLP / HUF is 1:1 (for a given from-date).

Imagine if the OBBS entry CLP / HUF is 10:1 than your OB08 entry is CLP / HUF is 10/1. The OB08 entry is always depending on an OBBS entry. Try it on your own.

Best regards, Christian

former_member860444
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

in OBBS (depending on the Ex. rate type) you define the relation of "from" to "to" currency (means how much CLP are how much HUF).

In OB08 you enter the exchange rate CLP to HUF for the given relation in OBBS.

So OBBS is done first (always when you have a new pair of currencies that need to be converted), OB98 afterwards.

Best regards, Christian

Edited by: Christian Ortner on Nov 29, 2010 10:29 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have to maintain the Ex Rate in OB08 between any two currency you need to define/ maintain the relation of the two, that is nothing but we do in OBBS ( Maintain translation ratio). SAP std suggests that 1:1 should be the relation.

Shilpa.