cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI 7.1 or 7.3 vs webMethods,Oracle Fusion,Biz talk, Tibco,IBM websphere

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope lot of similar threads raised on this topic.

But I don't find a single thread discussing pros and cons of SAP PI over other integration market leaders.

Most of us know that SAP PI is sharing 2nd place with IBM websphere.

Many market leaders like eBay, paypal etc are using PI for their integration.

SAP projecting PI as strategic tool for integration. And when we look the topics on PI 7.3 in Sapteched, it is simply super and gains very good confidence over PI 7.3.

But again and again we were asked with the same questions from client, that why we need to choose SAP PI??

I have seen some big clients of SAP ERP are still using other integration tool instead of SAP PI. why they make this decision?? of course there could be tons of reason's. But as PI Consultant I want to convince or showcase PI advantages by comparing other tools, not with just highlighting PI market jargons or standard features instead I want to compare each and every single key advantages with other tools in specific.

Note: please don't highlight points like, one common integration, easy integration with SAP, security, synchronous & asynchronous etc etc etcu2026u2026 these points are very common to integration tools and discussed in lot of forums. So, please don't put forward the points..

I am expecting points like

E.g. : webMethods has Integration Broker, which can be used to publish and subscribe across systems/serversu2026u2026.but SAP PI don't have this feature. What is the reason you think/know that SAP PI didn't include this feature and what are the alternatives we have in SAP PI to accommodate this feature. There should be reason for not including this feature in SAP PI what is that ???.

Your view pls.....

Rgds

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

When any customer decided to implement middleware he considers all pointu2019s like licensing and TOC.

As per my knowledge PI licensiling cost will be free for SAP and SAP system integration, in this case most of the customers use PI (Big companies) and other integration they change based on message volume.

When any customer already has SAP landscape then most of the customer will prefer to go for PI,

As strategic middleware due to reputation Of SAP and it fulfil the customer requirements.

Compare to other middlewareu2019s SAP PI uses two stacks, this is one disadvantage and many customers have a perception that SAP PI only for customers who have SAP Landscape. Off course this is true as per my experience, to avoid this SAP moving in to one stack(PI 7.3), but we donu2019t know how this going to work effectively, we have to wait for some more time to get feed back from customers..I hope it will be good.

I worked on some projects where I migrated Web methods, TIBCO, SAP BC with SAP PI, but I found web methods stable middleware. my customers very happy with PI, we mainly used to integrates SAP u2013SAP and SAP-non SAP Systems.

Regards,

Raj

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have worked on Tools like Webmethods..and SAP PI..

Webmethods have more flexible environment for mapping and also inbuilt EDI adapter..

when comes to PI there is are lot of improvements from 7.0 ,7.1 7.3 now...more promising and flexible features...

Advantages I see in PI is makes integration with SAP Landscapes systems easier..like Proxy adapter..for performance increase..

built in content for integrations lie SRM,MDM,CRM,....

Now IDoc packaging with ...if the landscape is going to have SAP as ERP system then definitely PI can be used as a strategic middleware..than other systems...

these are the main differences i observed or noticed during my integraion projects..

HTH

Rajesh

former_member192295
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Migration from one integration platform to SAP PI is completely depends on their business requirement and their finance. Every integration tool having advantages and disadvantages. As per my experience now a days most of clinets moving from third party middlewares to SAP PI due to PI architecture, features and functions. Technical point of view if client alrady implemented thier business application in SAP then those are easily migrating form other middleware to SAP PI. Non SAP business application users still using other middlewares because of thier flexibility.

I hope below presentations will help you to conivence clients on business and technical points.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4096a6b3-3dc3-2d10-bf87-f63d5340a...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/706005a3-3bd6-2910-91ae-a2016239b...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you must check this PDF out [Top 5 Reasons|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/library/uuid/4096a6b3-3dc3-2d10-bf87-f63d5340a916| SCN Webinar PDFDoc]. It will help you to build the confidence. Also The SAP RoadMap also looks very promising.

The Publish/Subscribe model is now available with SAP PI 7.3.

Regards,

Nipun