cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Package Standard Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to clear my some doubts regarding ABAP Support Package Import.

1) Normally at time of applying SP,, I Upload all componentts in SAP and define queue for all and Import. But my question is there any SAP standard process that we should import basis component individually or any combination of Support Package to get safe from any possible error.

2) We have got transport request containing SPAU and SPDD changes from Dev so should we include this request at time of QAS import or we should import this request in QAS by STMS after applying Support Package in QAS.

3) After SP implementation,,,In Sgen to generate objects should I use generate objects of a particular object and then click on all object and generate or I should use option generate objects after system Upgrade.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there any SAP standard process that we should import basis component individually 
or 
any combination of Support Package to get safe from any possible error.

You can refer the standard processing steps as mentioned under topic How do I import Support Packages into a test system? of this[ SAP Note 97621 - OCS Info: Online Correction Support (OCS)|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/97621].

I would follow the below mentioned process for applying any Support patch(s) or add-on :

1. Take Safe Offline Backup of Database, SAP Kernel binaries

2. Apply latest patches of SAP Kernel, tp, R3trans, disp+work, libdbsl

3. Apply latest SAPM/SAINT Update using SPAM

4. Load the required SAP Support patches from application Server or from Front-End

5. Refer OCS Known problems related SAP Notes before going to import any support patches.(e.g. SAP 822379 - Known problems with Support Packages in SAP NW 7.0x AS ABAP,,,, OCS: Known problem ....)

6. Choose low workload activity time and import the Support patches (with/without Downtime minimized mode). Ensure that No other dialogue/background activities are running and no other Transports are running (stms_import) other than Support patch application.

7. Do the Modification Adjustment (SPDD/SPAU) upon requested by SPAM. You can import the modification adjustment request during this time which was created in Development system. OR you can handle such modification adjustment later on after finishing complete processed support patches application.

8. If any errors are coming during process, then analyse the log and do the corrections and re-start the import queue.

9. Confirm the queue after successful completion of Support Package application process.

10. Run SGEN by keeping in mind the free available disk space in DB Files and Archive log destination. Prefer low workload time.

11. Ask the module leads/consultants to test their routine Functionality of all the affected modules.

2) We have got transport request containing SPAU and SPDD changes from Dev so should we include this request at time of QAS import or we should import this request in QAS by STMS after applying Support Package in QAS.

You can import relevant modification adjustment request during the Import of support patch or you can import such modification adjustment request later after completing whole Support patches application activity.

I should use option generate objects after system Upgrade

Such option can only be used if your SAP system release level has been changed as an effect of Upgradation activities.

If you have applied only small number of Support patches of ST-PI and ST-A/PI then you can choose only these two components during SGEN process. No need to select all components in All SGEN process. Also you can run SGEN for invalidated objects only so that SGEN will only run for the invalidated objects of all components, if they are.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

pretty good checklist, beside I disagree on the SPDD / SPAU strategy.

You should surely include the adjustment transports to the queue, esp. the SPDD one.

You should NEVER import an SPDD transport manually at the time of the SPDD stop.

If you import SPDD AFTER the patchqueue you MUST do the SPDD adjustment manually

in addition at the time of SPDD stop to be sure not to loose data. The transport then is

meerly to have the same versions through the landscape. This was the old procedure,

before SPAM/SAINT where capable of including adjustment transports to the queue.

It can help, to include the SPAU transport as well, to avoid errors in XPRA, esp. when

you have XPRA programs beinig affected by implemented notes, esp. those that might

need to be re-implemented on your patchqueue target level.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for reply..

Just please clear one thing ...that as I am applying SP for all components..basis,,,abap,,,bw,,HR..So should I use generate objects of components and then choose all objects to generate for it or any other time saving option I can choose.

Shivam

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

should I use generate objects of components and then choose all objects to generate for it or any other time saving option I can choose.

In SGEN , go for "Generate All objects of Selected Software components" and then only select those Components for which you have applied the new Support patches.

Alternatively You can choose sub-option "Generate Objects with Invalidated Load Only" of "Regenerate Existing Load" option in SGEN to run the SGEN only for those object which are invalided due to New Support patches application. This option will consider all the Invalidated objects of all Software components of your SAP System

SGEN works based on the settings of logon group parallel_generators. If your system is having more no. of Dilogues/Background work processes, you can re-configure this logon group using RZ12 T-code. So, that you can minimize the execution time of SGEN process. You can assign multiple application servers to this logon group.

Also ensure that Your SAP System should have Up-to-date Database statistic (including Oracle Dictionary statistics & System statistics) after Completion of New SAP Support patch application. If they are not Up-to-date, tehn Update them before executing SGEN. Using Latest Br*tools , you can update Oracle Dictionary statistics and System statistics.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) if you download SP stacks (which are tested by SAP with the goal to provide a stable queue for implementation) then it is safe to define a queue which contains all packages.

2) SPAM allows you to use those comparison transports while implementing the packages for a reason. Use this possibility.

3) Use the latter generation method as it should only generate the ABAP loads for the new objects. By doing so you can save some space in your table space and time for creating the loads.

Kind regards,