cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports for VS2010 Installation issue - Error 1904

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

During installation of the new release of CR for VS2010, I get approx 20 errors matching the following:

Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\ReportPromptEMF.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147023898. Contact your support personnel.

I have no other version on Crystal Reports installed, and I've checked my GAC and registry to ensure it's clean.

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

Lee.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

I moved your post to the .NET SDK forum.

That error typically means there are dependencies CR needs are not available. Make sure you are logged in as the local PC Administrator, ant-virus is disabled and you have full rights to install software.

It's a MSIExec error number, you'll find all sorts of issue if you search the WEB but none are directly pointed to CR install problems.

Typically it's the C++ runtime or one of the Framework versions is not installed.

Try looking in the Logging folder under the SAP business Objects structure for that error. It may indicate what the install could not find.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am having this exact issue, only my install works fine on some pcs and not on others. I have ran windows updates to get all the .net fixes. You mentioned C++ files, are these from the 2005 redist or do both need to be installed?

Any help please. This is driving me nuts!

Nathan

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

Look in the install logs to see what the cause is. It is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging

Look for Errors and possibly Access Denied or the dll listed in the log or message.

You can also download a program called Dependency Walker ( search for it, it's a free download ) and load up the dll noted. IT should tell you what it needs. It won't tell you where to get it from though. Do not go searching for the dll by itself, they usually need more than just the one.

Possibly Process Monitor may tell you also...

Thank you

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Nov 25, 2010 2:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The logging folder does not seem to be there, is there a switch I need to use to create it?

We ran the dependency walker we get the same errors as on a computer that the install works on. The dlll shwoing an error is MSVCR80.dll

Any Ideas?

Thx

Nathan

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

That is odd, it gets generated by default and I don't believe there was an option to not create the install log file. Do you have full Admin rights on that PC? Try again if you don't. Or see if you have anti-virus or other rules that might "clean up" log file to conserve disk space.

Those are distributed by the VS 2005 C++ runtime distribution files. You can go to Microsoft and search on C++ runtime and you will find it.

Here's the [link|http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2&displaylang=en], grab the 32 bit version:

Lee, is this helping your issue also?

Thank you

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Nov 25, 2010 5:49 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for your help so far - I also don't have a logging directory, and installing the c++ 2005 runtimes doesn't help. I have the full .NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0 installed, (plus Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010) so I'm hopefully alright for required framework files.

I'll trace it through DependencyWalker now and report back!

Thanks,

Edit: DependencyWalker shows the same MSVCR80.dll error as Nathan has. I uninstalled / reinstalled c++ runtimes 2005 and 2008 sp1 (then rebooted) but it makes no difference.

Lee.

Edited by: Lee_UK on Nov 26, 2010 9:58 AM

0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

If you had all VS's installed the runtime should be there.... I'm checking with the PM what dependencies our install requires to create the logging folder, may have something to do with the 1904 error. All of my installs do have the the log file so it seems mighty strange why neither of you don't...

What anti-virus software are you using?

Can you install again using the command line option so it will generate a log file. Here's a MS article on how to do this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262%28WS.10%29.aspx

Something that may be related but really out there.... Did either of you change the Environment variable to your temp and tmp folders?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

We are using McAffee VirusScan Enterprise v 8.5i. Talking with the admin for that, he said that the logs for mcafee don't show anything being blocked. The same version is installed on other machines where this install works.

We ran the install with logging the line about commonobjmodel.dll is

RegSelfReg(File=commonobjmodel.dll,FileID=commonobjmodel.dll.1B1BC767.1217.418B.932E.E221D7BC0589)
MSI (s) (AC:3C) [09:29:55:861]: Product: SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32-bit) -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\commonobjmodel.dll failed to register.  HRESULT -2147023898.  Contact your support personnel.

Both &tmp& and %temp% goes to c:\docs & settings\user\localsettings\temp folder

Thanks for your help with this

0 Kudos

If you type into the Start run: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\commonobjmodel.dll "

What happens?

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

And search your PC for: CR4VS*.log

Does it find one?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

RegSVR: LoadLibrary("commonobjmodel.dll") failed - Invalid access to memory location.

No files found with CR4VS*.log in c:\

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

I did a search on that error and it all points to either an update to MS is required or MS's installer needs to be repaired.

Are you using a DELL PC that came with the OS installed? Or some OEM version of Windows? You can tell when you start up your PC the splash screen would say something like Windows xx for xxxxxx.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

In this situation, it is a 2003 Server OEM version. All updates have been applied and I even reinstalled the windows installer 4.5, rebooted, and still the same.

Thx

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

I assume it is a DELL PC?

Do you have a folder called:

C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\Macrovision

And if so what version are the files?

If not search your PC for just Macrovision.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I believe it's a Dell Server. Its an older server in another city so I'll have to find out.

There are no files with macrovision on that server anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

Sorry no recent updates from me, but I have been following the thread.

I do have a Dell PC, and I also have a Macrovision folder (with the FLEXnet Connect subdirectory). I have tried running the install through the FLEXnet Connect Installer Transform Utility, and had the same issue.

I will go and search for a log file / run with the command line log generation options to see if it provides any more information

Thanks again.

Lee.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aha. I found a log file in my Local Settings directory. Pasted below. My eye is drawn to the Machine policy value entry near the bottom. DisableUserInstalls is 0 seems to indicate that user installs are allowed, but I'll look into that in a bit more depth.

=== Verbose logging started: 26/11/2010 09:48:36 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 4.05.6001.00 Calling process: C:\Documents and Settings\lee\My Documents\Downloads\CRforVS_13_0\setup.exe ===

MSI (c) (C0:70) [09:48:36:506]: Resetting cached policy values

MSI (c) (C0:70) [09:48:36:506]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0

MSI (c) (C0:70) [09:48:36:506]: ******* RunEngine:

• Product: C:\Documents and Settings\lee\My Documents\Downloads\CRforVS_13_0\package\CrystalReportsForVisualStudio.msi

• Action:

• CommandLine: **********

MSI (c) (C0:70) [09:48:36:506]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0

MSI (c) (C0:70) [09:48:46:211]: MainEngineThread is returning 1602

=== Verbose logging stopped: 26/11/2010 09:48:46 ===

ps: My Macrovision files are version 6, antivirus is Symantec. I also found a web article stating issues relating to changing the user environment variables for TEMP / TMP to a path not containing a space - tried but no difference.

Edited by: Lee_UK on Nov 29, 2010 10:38 AM

0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

There is a known issue with the version DELL installs, it's newer than a CR dependency. To fix it uninstall or delete the folder and then install CR and then you can install the Macrovision software.

It was noted in this post, Dave found it:

I found this issue documented in our internal database. The problem was related to an existing installation of the Macrovision software. This is likely something pre-installed with your OS - likely some Dell software. In the reported case, they removed the software which loaded the Macrovision or simply deleted the folder. It turned out the version of Macrovision software installed was newer than what we use, which is why there is an install issue. Likely some kind of dependency problem.

This is a "do at your own risk" type scenario, but you could try deleting the folder and installing Crystal Reports 2008. As always, ensure you back up the files before you delete.

We have not been able to duplicate the issue, we don't have any DELL OS installed PC's here so we can't confirm how to fix the problem just that it exists....

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

DId you ever find out what the dependency is that creates the logging folder? A few other 2003 servers worked, and they had a logging folder. So maybe down that path would point us to the right direction.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

It's selectable on install, to enable install logging. If it's not in our folder structure then likely it's a permission issue, that user doesn't have full install admin rights or they simply checked it off.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Sorry but when i install the Crystal Reports 2010 Redistributable, I do not get an option to select logging.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Nathan,

Ah.... The title is for the install of CRVS2010 and this has been the case all along. For runtime it's a different problem.

To enable distribution logging refer to MSIExec help file on how to enable install logging. You may want to detach your issue from this thread and start a new one.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Don. Thought the root cause would be the same hence why i posted here.

I've started a new thread for the same error coming from the redistributable:

Thanks

Update for Nathans distribution issue. It has been resolved. Copy the link above for the results.

Edited by: Don Williams on Dec 1, 2010 1:13 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks again for your help so far.

I've renamed my Macrovision folders (to break the paths), stopped the FlexNet service I found, and tried an install both before and after a reboot. Unfortunately it still fails, and I noticed that the Program files\Common Files\Macrovision folder had re-appeared after the reboot. I'm guessing it's being recreated on startup.

I'm in the process of trying to get hold of another machine so I can test the effects of ripping Macrovision out of the prefetch folders and the GAC etc. I dare not do that on my development machine. I can't find any other way to get rid of it - there appears to be nothing in the Add/Remove Programs list. I'll post again when I've got more info.

I've tried this on a couple of my collegues development machines - all have the same issue. I don't suppose there is a fix in the works?

Thanks

Lee.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don/Lee

I would just like to post here to say my issue is resolved in this thread:

The issue was with a dll conflict with ArcServe.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to ship the CRVS2010 runtime with our product. I downloaded the merge modules and added them in our installer. During installation on a clean 32 bit Windows XP VM (containing .Net 4.0 full framework. I also tried it on Windows XP VM which had previous version of .Net framework), but it fails with the error message as mentioned in this post i.e. "Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\SAP business Objects\Crystal Reports for .Net framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\...\pageobjectmodel.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Please contact your support personnel." If we ignore and try to continue, this error message appears for around another15 DLLs.

I am assuming this error occurs when the Windows installer is trying to register the Dlls and the error occurs. I tried registering the Dlls manually via Regsvr32 but with no luck and it complains about the application config file. I am wondering which app config file? The message i get during manual registration is as follows:

"Load Library ("C:\Program Files\SAP business Objects\Crystal Reports for .Net framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\pageobjectmodel.dll") failed - This application has fialed to start because the application configuration in incorrect.Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." I

f this would have been a problem of Windows installer, i believe these DLLs should have got registered manually but they are not. Do we have any solution for this issue with merge modules?

Thanks,

Gulab.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must install the VC++ dependencies and ATL dependencies before installing the CR runtime. Search this forum for 1904 and you'll find the solution.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

An update - we've attempted to install CR for VS2010 now on several machines - some with the Macrovision folders, some without, some Dell, some not. One in particular with the Macrovision folders present but removed with the FlexConnect Uninstall utility, and also via the FlexConenct transform utility.

Every time the same error. I have a 44Mb log file that I'm happy to post bits of if someone tells me which bit they want.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Lee.

Answers (0)