cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Refresh or Remote client copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need your help for my following queries regarding client refresh or Remote client copy.

1. How to determine required time to complete concen process if source client is having size of 140 GB?

2. What are the Precaution need to take care before Starting the Process.

3. In this process, does the existing data at traget client gets replaced or overwrite?

4. Which Profile do I need to choose ? (SAP_ALL or SAP_CUST)

Kind request to you to help me out for my above queries.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. try test run option, it will give you an overview how long remote system copy will take place.

other things to be considered :

- network profile. better LAN results in quicker process.

- database size. I have done for 200GB it took 3 hours with no workloads in source and target, and around 6 hours if source is busy enough (there are user is logged on). but it is better if you can keep your source free from user so that you can ensure that all data is cleanly copied from source to target.

- your server's performance. better CPU, larger memory equivalent to faster copy process.

2. you have to :

- make RFC connection from source to target

- make sure that you choose the proper source and target. failed to meet this equals to disaster

3. yes. all data will be overwritten.

4. depends on your need.

- if you wish to copy all data, select sap_all

- if you wish to copy customizing and application data without change docs, select sap_appl

- if you wish to copy user and authorization, select sap_user

- if you wish to copy customizing only, select sap_cust

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vinod,

The following are my suggestions

1) Client copy is not suggested when you have large databases.

2) You dont get cross client customizing when doing a client copy, though I read somewhere that if you leave all clients open in the target system you would see additional profiles to even achieve this one.

3) Data is definitely overwritten.

4) It is always suggested to do a simulated client copy before actual client copy which gives you if there would be any possible errors during the actual run.

Client copy is short than system refresh when source system is small in size.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. How to determine required time to complete concen process if source client is having size of 140 GB?

That depends on several factors like the number of parallel processes, performance of your system, large tables, etc.

I have some bad experiences with remote client copies.. Especially for large clients, this can be a very long running process.

2. What are the Precaution need to take care before Starting the Process.

Take a backup of your target system in case you want to revert back to the old situation.

Make sure that no users will be active on the source in case a consistent client copy is necessary.

3. In this process, does the existing data at traget client gets replaced or overwrite?

In case you are executing a client copy of an existing client, a client delete will be performed fist. (this can be a very long running process as well).

4. Which Profile do I need to choose ? (SAP_ALL or SAP_CUST)

This depends on your (business) requirement.

In case you only have one client in the system, you better perform a system copy instead of a remote client copy..

Kind regards,

Mark