cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying SAPNOTES across SAP systems: Upgrade Nightmare in our Future?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a question and I am not sure if this is where to post, but here goes.

We have a large SAP landscape with many boxes and environments.

We have a central development environment where we can push global changes to all environments

We also have local development environments for the local stuff.

I needed to put an SAPNOTE into 6 production environments. It was pretty global in nature, so I implemented in the central development environment and then transported to the 6 local developments environments and 6 local quality environments and 5 of the local production environments. The guy in charge of the 6th environment refused to put it in production because I had just set him up for a massive upgrade headache on his local box. He demands that I back out the note in both the local quality and development environments and start from scratch in the local development environment.

So my question is: If I do nothing, am I gonna cause a massive upgrade issue? Noone else raised any objections.

Is this a known issue in SAP which has been resolved since his nightmare scenario occurred?

Here are our system particulars:

SAP_BASIS 700 0015 SAPKB70015 SAP Basis Component

SAP_ABA 700 0015 SAPKA70015 Cross-Application Component

PI_BASIS 2005_1_700 0015 SAPKIPYJ7F PI_BASIS 2005_1_700

ST-PI 2005_1_700 0006 SAPKITLQI6 SAP Solution Tools Plug-In

SAP_BW 700 0017 SAPKW70017 SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0

SAP_AP 700 0012 SAPKNA7012 SAP Application Platform

SAP_HR 600 0029 SAPKE60029 Human Resources

SAP_APPL 603 0002 SAPKH60302 Logistics and Accounting

Last upgrade was from BASIS 620, APPL 470

Thanks for your interest.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I do nothing, am I gonna cause a massive upgrade issue?  Noone else raised any objections.

You may or may not as it is purely depends upon nature of change and use of that particular functionlaity , but its always good to keep landscape in sync in manner of development manner.

Also you have other option to reset the note in source systen and then transport the changes through the landscape.

Hope this helps , revert for any clarification

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Note was a program change to 2 different sources.

Perhaps I am just trying to understand the whole Sapnotes process. I imported the note into the central development system and implemented it. The transport contained both the updated source and the notes and the correction instructions. When I transported to the local development system, the corrections applied, the notes showed up in SNOTE as completely implemented. Prepare yourselves for a naive question:

What could possibly go wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos
What could possibly go wrong?

Its very difficult to say , as a simple example if you will modify affcted program in DEV and want to trasnport to QAS and PRD , it will work fine upto QAS , but will throw error in PRD as this program is no more in sync with DEV and QAS.

Also it may not be a issue if you upgrade Support package as same note will be delivered in future releases.

So i am not going to say it as nightmare for future ...:)

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I need to clarify the issue here.

I have every intention of moving the note changes into that production environment. Whether I do it by resetting the note and starting over in the local development environment or getting that transport in from the central development environment. My question is more "Is my colleague justified in his fear of transporting notes this way across SAP systems?"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Both options are there ,from my point of view (from your landscape prospective) is to implement note in central dev system and then import to QA and PRD ...But anyhow its not going to change anything technically .

I hope i understod your query correctly .

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Applying notes to SAP system should not cause any issue in upgrade. As when you upgrade or apply support packs is nothing but collection of notes. I recommond you must apply in dev, test and prod procedure. The notes you are going to apply will be part of next support pack level.

Just want to check, you never apply notes to your system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I took the notes which I implemented in the central development environments and transported them into the local development environments. From there, I forwarded the original transport request from the local Dev environment to the local Quality environment. All environments got the note and source changes from that original transport. My colleague's issue is that there will now be a big upgrade problem when he tries to upgrade his local dev, QA and prod systems. He insists that what I should have done is to import the SAP note into every local dev environment and implement them there. Then transport them up the local QA and Prod. So each local landscape has a different transport number rather than just one transport pushed everywhere. He insists I have to do it all locally. I am looking for someone to say that he is correct. Some great SAP law has been breached and as punishment I can expect upgrade problems.

Has anyone ever experienced such an issue? Has this been an issue in the past? Was this a restriction at one time?

thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As stated above as well, motive of note is to implement the changes (Wheather it will come from local dev or central DEV), if changes are present in full landscape it does not make any difference.

So in my view its not going to do anything with upgrade .Moreover these changes has to come thorugh SP also in near future.

Regards.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think someone is paniking unnecesarely, as long as the note is for your current release I can't see anything going wrong.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

It should not impact the upgrade based on the approach you followed. Ask him where it states that going this way would impact upgrade.

Answers (0)