Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the criteria for resize of database files in SAP system

former_member554823
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Please help me to findout what is the criteria of database file resize in SAP system

I have faced below issue:

In ECC Dev system when we performed database file resize it help me to released 560 GB disk space

while in SAME live system after performing database resize we recovered only 140 GB dont know why?

Though data size might be one reason?

Any other reason??

If someone elaborate criteria of database file reszing in SAP system hope it would be quite helpfull for me.

Thanx in adv

Regards,

Vyash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First why you want to resize the datafile in live system? as you database may again grow and you will need to add/resize the datafile.

The resize of dev and prod will never match as you have data in prod and not much data in your development system.

Mean initial dev database was over size. And hope you are performing the dafile resize using brtools.

For more information use help.sap.com and serach for datafile resize.

former_member554823
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

Its requirment by client side

to release disk space by all possible methods

so we performed below activities

1: Databse tabel space reorg

2: Index rebuild

and atlast for more disk space release decided to do database files resize

ok

but i found a huge discrepenices between ECC _Dev & ECC -Live disk space release after datafile resize

so i want to know criteria

please provide some sap link or sap note to find it out clearly as above provided link is not much more helpfulll..

BR

Vyash

Former Member
0 Kudos

See the issue is you have not included that you have done tablespace/index reorg in your initial post.

Anyway, the Development and Production system datafile resize will never match in size. As, your production system database size will be higher than your development. What is your development and production size, are they same? If not then you should not expect the same free size when you do tablespace reorg.

former_member554823
Participant
0 Kudos

@sunil,

Thanx alot for reply!!

I know that datafile resize can not be same in Dev & Productiona system

If you see my question you could find this point clearly.

I mentioned this point.

But my question is please help me to provide criteria of database file resize?

Thanx a lot in adv!!

Regards,

vyash

Former Member
0 Kudos

>But my question is please help me to provide criteria of database file resize?

What do you mean criteria?

Are you looking for some best practice or recommendation to resize datafile?

former_member554823
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sunil,

As per above question please help me to provide some best practice or SAP note for

DATABASE file resize criteria.

Thanks in ADV!!

BR

Vyash

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member554823
Participant
0 Kudos

ok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we ran SAP R/3 with Oracle database.

here is our consideration :

- in Oracle, afaik maximum number (not maximum size) of datafile is 1024. We have around 500 datafiles. In the past, we just add and add the datafiles until we are realize that the number of datafiles is restricted. So at this point, we consider to RESIZE the datafiles instead of ADD new datafiles.

- consideration when to RESIZE (or ADD) datafiles comes from database growth tendency compared to the "bottomline database space". via DB02 we can evaluate how much our database will growth per day, per week or per month. From this point, we can calculate how long our current FREESPACE of our database will able to meet database growth ?

example :

given database growth 1GB per day. bottomline database space policy (minimum freespace) say 10GB or more.

Freespace (from DB02) now (say November 1) is 15GB, so roughly we will out of space in November 15.

Based on minimum freespace policy, we should perform database RESIZE or ADD on November 5, because on that day database freespace is reaching our critical point (10GB) and so on.

Once the freespace of our database is reaching critical point, that is the time to RESIZE or ADD.

However, the bottomline or minimum freespace is determined by yourself.

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno