cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict users from selecting Objects when creating WEB-I reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

My universe has 6 Dimension and 2 Fact tables.

The Fact tables are not joined to each other.

Each of the fact tables are joined to all the dimension tables and seperate contexts are created for each of the fact tables.

I would like to know if we can restrict or prevent the users from selecting data from both the fact tables in a single query in a Web-I report.

Problem

Ex. customer_name, product_name, country, F1.Quantity, F1.Amount, F2.cost, F2.percent

Desired result

Ex.

Query contains

dimension objects --> customer_name, product_name, country

The user adds the following objects to the above query

Fact 1 measures --> Quantity, Amount

After adding the data from Fact-1 the user should be restricted or not allowed to select objects from class containing Fact-2 measures.

Is there a way the above can be implemented?

Thanks in advance for the quick reply

~Arun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

Is there never an occasion where you would want users to report from both fact tables?

User requirements to report on, for example, sales and rentals are quite commonplace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As of now the users do not want to query with objects from both the facts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take the corresponding object from a class for which you have to restrict among the users and provide "column level security" for either users or groups..this should solve your issue

Thanks,

Ganesh

Edited by: Ganesh.Jegannathan on Dec 7, 2010 1:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Harikrishna,

Thanks for the reply.

I have used 2 contexts in my universe.

I used the "Aggregate Navigation" option under tools to set the "Incompatible Objects"

when the query is run with measures from both the facts together, a error message "Incompatible Objects" is displayed.

Even though this does not solve my actual requirement, the users have given a go ahead with the above solution.

@Ganesh,

The column or row level security works if we want to restrict users from selecting objects. But not in my requirements.

Thanks,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi arun

Since you have two fact tables you need to have two contexts for them. After defining contexts if you go to universe parameters

and uncheck the box multiple SQL for each context/measure" when ever the user tries to run a report with the fields from two fact tables the user will be thrown an error " the query cannot run as the objects are incompatible".

I'm not sure this answers your questions but that is the only way the user cannot run a report with the objects from those fact tables.

If you check the multiple SQL for each context/measure the report would run with two SQL and fetch both the results separately.

Regards,

hk

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no way to restrict the user from selecting dimensions or measures while creating Webi reports,

but you should define contexts since you're having more than one fact table into your universe

good luck