Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Trouble Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Can somebody please tell me the answer of these questions

· If we group iDocs into a bundle and one of the iDocs fails mapping then all the iDocs fail. We canu2019t reprocess the documents and they have to be submitted again?

· Has anyone has an experience with RFC calls from R/3 to PI. Is this advisable? In this instance this is a bespoke interface. Would you suggest doing this or using an iDoc?

· I need to make a call to an HTTPs service to pull down some data. This call needs to be made every hour. Is there any way I can schedule this?

To clarify u2013 I need to pull bank statements off a server. Iu2019m not sure when theyu2019ll be available but I need to check every hour. Once I have a document Iu2019ll email it. So all the processing is done in PI without any external intervention.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) that depends on how you are configured and whether you are using serialisation. you can normally correct the error then reprocess the failed iDocs.

2) ABAP proxys work well to send messages from R/3 to PI for custom requirements, where an iDoc is not available.

3) You can use Availability Time Planning on the Adapter within the RWB - Communication Channel Monitoring to use hourly polling of an HTTPS adapter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can you please tell me in Question 1

If we have 10 IDocs and iDoc no 3 contains wrong data which we cannot fixed from mapping so in that case all the other 9 iDocs will fail.

Is there any way we can process the 9 IDocs rather than re-generate all the iDocs again?

In regards to Question 2,

Is it advisable to use RFC Adapter in this case rather than Proxy

Example

If we have a sync scenario i.e. RFC -

XI

Its just a synchronous call from R/3 to PI. So which Option is better.

In regards to Question 3.

Is there any sort of documentation available for availability planning because I have never come across this option.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) as long iDoc 3 can be resent, this will not be a problem. you would need to cancel the message in PI to process the iDocs to SAP. you would then resend the failed message so it would correctly process. SAP would then use the serialisation to correct process the messages once the message 3 had been processed in. i have worked on projects that have done this in the past.

If you are not using serialisation, then you just need to clear the failed item in the queue and then they can process in.

2) I would still use proxy than RFC. this is a personal choice, but i guess either would work. it depends on your scenario, and as you have not put any detail in i cannot comment on what would be better. why would you have a Sync call from R/3 to PI? would PI then send the data on and await a response??? i have written several ABAP Proxies that do this. it is my preference.

3) http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/45/e3c488f87c6f74e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Planning Availability Times - You plan availability times for communication channels to enable them to be started and stopped automatically instead of manually. You would have to set up several schedules to run this. play with the options but i have done this for FTP in a similar manner to your requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

Do you mind tell me bit more about the IDoc Serialization because I haven't used it so I don't know much about it.

So from your experience it looks that IDoc Serialization is the only option to achieve this requirement.

I never worked on IDoc batching but Now I have a requirement in which user are send the idocs in batch and if any of the idoc fail because of any reason all of them failed and I didn't see any option to reprocess the remaining idoc so unfortunately user needs to again generate all the idocs which is very time and that's the only option I know.

Can you please suggest any solution so that I will suggest this to User if it is something to do with R3 and if it is something to do PI then kindly send me any document or any link.

Once again thank you so much for your reply.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

No! iDoc serialisation is the only thing that would stop you processing in subsequent iDocs.

and the error would be down to a serialised object missing. the objects have a counter that stops them being processed out of order...

read more here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0b/2a66c9507d11d18ee90000e8366fc2/frameset.htm

are you configured to process and serialise the messages in order though? see here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/bd/277264c3ddd44ea429af5e7d2c6e69/frameset.htm

i have set up systems both ways. they can both work. it is down to process. i have never had to resend all iDocs due to a single failure though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

I am slightly confused with your Answer 3 regarding polling

3) You can use Availability Time Planning on the Adapter within the RWB - Communication Channel Monitoring to use hourly polling of an HTTPS adapter.

HTTP Adapter reside on ABAP Stack so how can we use the Availability Time Planning

Can you please comment.

Original question

I need to pull bank statements off a server. Iu2019m not sure when theyu2019ll be available but I need to check every hour. Once I have a document Iu2019ll email it. So all the processing is done in PI without any external intervention.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are correct! i said i had done it with FTP, but that is run from Java and not ABAP.

you may have to write some ABAP and schedule that to run in SAP R/3 which then triggers the interface.