cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Bundle Patches and Automatic Oracle parameter check script (note117165)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After reading SAP note 1027012 on SAP Bundle Patches and SAP note 1171650 on the

automatic Oracle parameter check script I have a simple question:

Is it still necessary to manually check whether some patch is installed in order to determine

exactly which event and fixcontrol to set?

Or is the automatic Oracle parameter check script so sophisticated that it is fully

sufficient to implement its recommendations, and you don't neet to manually

check any more which SBP with which bugfixes has been installed?

It would be great if SAP could confirm that the automatic parameter check is sufficient,

but so far I haven't seen this statement explicitly. I believe this is mostly because it

is so difficult (impossible?) to determine via SQL which patches have been applied.

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Is it still necessary to manually check whether some patch is installed in order to determine

> exactly which event and fixcontrol to set?

Yes and No.

until now, fixcontrol are dependent of CBO patches and those are "register" on the view v$system_fix_control. They can be "check" autmatically, so you get the "proper" recommendation for those.

the parameter event depends on different situations, like some patches. But those patches are "normal" patches and it is not possible to check if they are installed from inside the DB with a simple script. For those, the check script will tell you to do it manually and will tell you which patch has to be check

In addition, there are other parameters that have to be check "manually", like processes (where you get a "semiautomatic" check) or db_cache_size, where you should check if the size

> It would be great if SAP could confirm that the automatic parameter check is sufficient,

> but so far I haven't seen this statement explicitly. I believe this is mostly because it

> is so difficult (impossible?) to determine via SQL which patches have been applied.

The automatic parameter check is sufficient, meaning that you get all information, including the parameters that you have to check manually and some information for that check. Currently, it is not possible to automatize it 100%

Answers (0)