cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am performing a client copy from PRD to QAS.

Have exported the PRD client using SCC8 and now importing into QAS using STMS

The size of the source client is about 10GB (based on the exported file RT00036.SID

The import to QAS has been running for many hours and is generating over 20GB of redo logs and filling up the disk space.

Any advise on how to speed up the process?

I am replacing the current client with the new client, should I delete the current client first before the import?

Is it ok to temporarily disable Oracle archive log during the client import?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is your support pack level on your systems?

check which jobs are running on your destination system.

a recent support pack is causing unneeded cluster table conversion. This might be happening to you now.

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

client export/import always taking time . Its also depend on your hardware resources.

physical memory and virtual memory. check your R3trans and TP . its should me updated

will make performance better.

thanks

sadiq

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any advise on how to speed up the process?

Import Process will take some time. Refer [SAP Note 68896 - R3trans: Performance problems and cluster|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/68896], In that note some actions are mentioned to speed up such client copy operations.

Is it ok to temporarily disable Oracle archive log during the client import?

After Taking successful OFFLINE backup off your QUA system database, you can Turn OFF Arhive log mode for sometime until Client Import is finished.

Also Check the import log of those Trans. Requests in stms_import to get the detailed information about current running actions.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Edited by: Bhavik G. Shroff on Nov 23, 2010 12:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tips.

There is only one client on the system and the size of database is 200GB

Is there a significant performance gain if I disable the archive logs?

I am a bit cautious as with this option, my previous backups will no

longer be usable.

Another suggestion is to delete the existing client before performing the client

import.

Any other ways to improve the performance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your export of client files are 10GB does not mean you have a client of 10 GB.

Check Note 118823 - CC-ADMIN: Size of a client

>>Is there a significant performance gain if I disable the archive logs? I am a bit cautious as with this option, my previous backups will no longer be usable.

Make sure you take an offline backup of your DB before you disable archive logs.

>>Another suggestion is to delete the existing client before performing the client import.

No need to delete existing client if you want to overwrite.

>>Any other ways to improve the performance?

Check the shared filesystem /usr/sap/trans where it is physically mounted/available.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a significant performance gain if I disable the archive logs?

Obviously it will reduce log_synch operations at DB and hence I/Os load. But you should have valid Offline Backup of DB before/after disabling/enabling Archive log mode.

Another suggestion is to delete the existing client before performing the client import.

You can delete the Target Client in Target System, but choose it as last option. Alternatively you can exclude Cluster Tables in Client Export and do the client Import at Target System. Refer SAP 68896 to get more detailed information.

The delay in client Import also depends on the Client_Copy profile what you had chosen during Client Export. Application Data will contain Cluster Tables, Transparent Tables,etc.

As per SAP Note 6588 - R3trans: Memory allocation failed, While Importing Cluster Data,

the memory requirements of R3trans depend on the number of table entries that already exist
 in the corresponding key area in the DB. The number of entries that are to be imported per table or 
key area, however, do not affect the memory requirements. For performance reasons, 
R3trans 'combines' the table entries that are to be imported with already existing ones in main memory
 and writes back only changed records.

Any other ways to improve the performance?

During Client Import more paging & swap space will be used. It may lead to lot of I/Os. Your system should have sufficient space and other resources to deal with it.

You can also take the benefit of parallel process, by specifying parallel variable to n values in TP Profile. Refer SAP Note 1127194 - R3trans import with parallel processes to get more information on that. You must consider your system configuration and work loads in System for such configuration.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing, when I did the client import, it went on for more than 1 day and generated many redo logs until the archive log directory was full. Any way to estimate how much space I need to allocate for the generation of redo logs during the client import?

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any way to estimate how much space I need to allocate for the generation of redo logs during the client import?

It depends on the changes done in Database during the Import of other Update/Insert database operations and count of commits. It also indirectly depends on selected Client Copy profile in Client Export process.The Redo log contains log of all Committed & Non-Committed transaction changes which are done in the table data of Database.

If Archive Log Destination is a separate mount point and additional storage space is available, then you can extend the size of Archive log destination (after safe backup of its contents) and then restart the Client Import Process with Archive Log Mode ON.

Alternatively If the system is not Production system then u can take offline backup of the Target system and then you can Turn Off the Archive log mode and then Perform Client Import and then upon completion again take offline backup of Target System and then Turn ON Archvie Log Mode.

You should have sufficient space in Archive log destinations while doing such loaded tasks in both the cases.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also use the brarchive option -f|-fill until you complete the client import. If you want more information on this then search on help.sap.com