cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation on Vmware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am planning to setup ECC6 /SCM7.0 on Vmware.

I have the below hardware

1. HP Desktop with Core i7 processor 2.8 Ghz Quad core

2. 16GB RAM( 4X 4G)

3. 1 TB Harddisk( 500X2)

4. Windows 7 Professional

I am planning to start the installation for Home Use( IDES Environment) after knowing the software and hardware requirements.

1. Do I need Vmware ES/ESXi server with License, If this is not correct which Vmware version to be used.

2. I am also planning to add SCM7.0 on the same vmware environment with connectivity to ECC6.

3. Windows 2003 server with Sp2 or Windows 2008 ?

Please would you check hardware and software and guide me on building the server and also suggest if there would be any shortfall with the above.

Your advise is much appreciated!

Sudhakar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First: There is no SAP license for "home use"; each SAP system needs to licensed officially through a SAP contract; you'll also need a Solution Manager system to generate installation key and to get the latest patches.

16 GB is very few memory for such an installation, especially if those 16 GB are also shared with a virtualization environment (not matter which one).

Windows 7 is not supported.

So if you really want to do that then I'd go for ESXi and use Windows 2008 64bit. However, neither the installation nor the runtime will be fun with 16 GB of memory only, it will be slow.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus,

I am actually planning to do IDES Installation with SAP License only. In order to that i would be having windows 2003 sp2 /win 2008 server . I had suggestions from others Vmware workstation is also a better for integrating ECC/SCM. Please would you advise if it had any issues. Basically i would like to have ECC and SCM integrated to talk to each other.

To your suggestion on Solman , i guess its still possible to upgrade or apply patches without Solman. (or) SolMan can be powered up only during patch installation and can be stopped once the patches are installed and can allocate RAM to other vmware server like SCM. Do you still think 16 GB is not enough to run ECC /SCM parallely and if not whats the advised RAM levels.

Thanks

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

There should not be an issue if you install license software. You should be able to install multiple SAP instances. You have to decide whether you want to install under one database or multiple databases.

Depends on you system load, you must decide on your VM configuration. And you should be easily allocate resources (cpu, RAM) if you find some performance issues.

Yes, you only need solman to have a key and software downloads.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SolMan is an essential part of your landscape, you should not shut it down. it should be up at all times.

There is something fishy about this installation...

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Patching IDES 😮

Have fun with that!

You can really learn how to do SPDD and SPAU when patching an IDES!

And there quite some relevant real modifications in IDES, so patching that,

might end up in some functionallity not being usable any more.

I did so 2 times (the patching) and always advised against doing so,

but the functionals insisted and got messed up.

So install and SNOTE is the way to go with IDES.

Volker

I have to admit, I did not set up an EHPx IDES yet.

May be the delivery is better in terms of less modifications now

Answers (0)