cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbanalyzer recomendation of change _MBLOCK_STRAT_SIZE cant be applied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I updated one server to MaxDB 7.6.06.10 version, with this command:

./SDBINST -profile all -indep_data /var/opt/sdb/data -indep_prog /opt/sdb/programs -depend /opt/sdb/7603

all works fine,

and when after i run dbanalyzer with maxdb-parameter-check.cfg i get follow output:

===== #0          at 2010-11-22 09:53:25
*  I   
*  I  Database Analyzer configuration check version 1.08, December 29, 2008
*  I   
*  I  General information:
*  I  --------------------
*  I  Instance XXXX (XXXX.com.br) is up since 2010-11-20 21:15:14
*  I  Kernel version: Kernel    7.6.06   Build 010-123-229-880
*  I  Number of logical CPUs: 8, physical CPUs: 2, processor type: x86_64
*  I  Physical memory 4953 MB, virtual memory 1983 MB, memory allocated from instance: 4229.29 MB
*  I  Operating system: Linux 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Mon Jun 25 17:06:07 EDT 2007
*  I  Configuration of 'MAXCPU': 8, 'MAXUSERTASKS': 500
*  I  Size of data cache 392738 pages, size of converter cache 370 pages
*  I  Number of data volumes 5, usable size 2621430 pages, used size 642308 pages (24%)
*  I   
*  I  General checks:
*  I  ---------------
*  I  'MAXCPU' (8) exceeds number of physical CPUs (2)!
* W2  Recommended value for parameter '_MBLOCK_STRAT_SIZE' is 32768, current value is 16384
*  I  Recommended value for parameter '_IOPROCS_FOR_READER' is 1, current value is 1
*  I   
*  I  If instance SPDT is used for Data Warehouse applications, the following recommendations are of interest:
*  I  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* W1  Recommended value for parameter 'LRU_FOR_SCAN' is YES, current value is NO

i tried to change MBLOCKSTRAT SIZE to 32768, but get the error:

parameter value higher than maximum allowed

any idea?

Best regards.

Clóvis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I updated one server to MaxDB 7.6.06.10 version, with this command:

> * I Database Analyzer configuration check version 1.08, December 29, 2008

> * W2 Recommended value for parameter '_MBLOCK_STRAT_SIZE' is 32768, current value is 16384

> i tried to change MBLOCKSTRAT SIZE to 32768, but get the error:

>

> parameter value higher than maximum allowed

>

> any idea?

Sure

Old and buggy configuration check file (2008 is quite some days in the past...).

The recommended (and technical maximum) size is 32767 .

You can also check file cserv.pcf to find out more about parameter definitions...

And, sure, I can guess what you want to write next...

... this is the most current file available in SDN for free ...

... it has been some time since the database versions had been updated in SDN ...

As usually, I cannot provide any meaningful answers to that.

So I hope the little parameter hint helps you a bit.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

setting 32767 works and I hope SAP someday will maintain community version updated.

best regards

Clóvis

steffen_schildberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

we finally made it to update the version of the parameter check file in SDN. The newest version (April 2011) is available now.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffen,

I downloaded the file, and still same version 1.08, December 29, 2008, maybe the download isnt updated?

regards

Clóvis

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just checked and current file version to download is 1.42, so please try again, it should work now.

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thorsten

still comming old version 1.08, from community download after agree with license the link for that is:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/softwaredownload?download=https://www.sdn.sap.com/downloads/maxdb/max...

and file extracted from that have this info at first lines:

#===============================================================================
# dbanalyzer_ParameterCheckForSAPInstances.cfg
# -----------------
# This file contains the configuration for the performance analyzing tool DBanalyzer.
# It is used to check the actual parameter settings for MaxDB/liveCache/BW/OneDB
# instances of versions 7.5 and higher
#===============================================================================

#                        GLOBAL SETTINGS
[Settings]
IGNOREERROR=100,400,500,600,-3016,-9806,-8,-1000

#                        CONSTANT DEFINITIONS
[Constant]
#*************************** U P D A T E    V E R S I O N ****************************
ID                  = CFG_FILE_VERSION
Type                = STRING
Value               = 1.08, December 29, 2008

thomasschulz2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've downloaded the file last friday from same location and got the new version 1.42. I repeated the download today and got again the the new config file. Maybe a cache or loadbalancing problem for some users?

BTW: The file extension from the downloaded file is .tgz. Extraction via "tar xvfz ..." leads to an error. Unpacking it with gunzip results into a file with extension .tar. But it obviously it isn't a tar file, it's the cfg file in text format with a wrong extension.

Here is the version info from the new parameter check config file:

• U P D A T E V E R S I O N ****************************

ID = CFG_FILE_VERSION

Type = STRING

Value = 1.42, April 04, 2011

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by: Thomas Schulz on May 2, 2011 5:15 PM

Edited by: Thomas Schulz on May 2, 2011 5:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thomas,

I never see a cache on a HTTPS download, and appears to be with google chrome browser(maybe chrome cache by name too strange), I changed to Firefox and the file comes as you told, a ZIP file, name as .tgz.

here is the new output:

MaxDB Database Analyzer, The Performance Analysis Tool, Version 7.6.06.10
Copyright 2000-2010 by SAP AG

Using log directory: /home/sdb/temp/
Using configuration file: /home/sdb/maxdb-parameter-check.v142.cfg

===== #0          at 2011-05-02 16:54:39
*  I   
*  I  Database Analyzer configuration check version 1.42, April 04, 2011
*  I   
*  I  General information:
*  I  --------------------
*  I  Instance XXXXX (XXXX.com.br) is up since 2011-04-27 15:10:56
*  I  Kernel version: Kernel    7.6.06   Build 010-123-229-880
*  I  Number of logical CPUs: 2, physical CPUs: 1, processor type: x86_64
* W3  Physical memory 3953 MB, virtual memory 8189 MB, memory allocated from instance: 4630.22 MB
*  I  Operating system: Linux 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jul 14 06:36:37 EDT 2009
*  I  Configuration of 'MAXCPU': 2, 'MAXUSERTASKS': 50
*  I  Size of data cache 261722 pages (2 GB), size of converter cache 343 pages (0 GB)
*  I  Number of data volumes 1, usable size 1310718 pages (10 GB), used size 456747 pages (3.48 GB), filling level 34%
*  I   
*  I  General checks:
*  I  ---------------
*  I  'MAXCPU' (2) exceeds number of physical CPUs (1)!
*  I  Log queue overflows: 2, configured log queue pages: 50 for each of 0 log queues
* W1  Lock list escalations: 40, current value for parameter 'MAXLOCKS': 4040
* W1  Recommended value for parameter 'OPTIMIZE_OPERATOR_JOIN_COSTFUNC' is NO, current value is YES
* W1  Recommended value for parameter '_IOPROCS_SWITCH' is 0, current value is 1
*  I  Number of clustered tables: 1
* W1  Recommended value for parameter 'JOIN_MAXTAB_LEVEL9' is 8, current value is 5
*  I   
*  I  If instance XXXX is used for Data Warehouse applications, the following recommendations are of interest:
*  I  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

===== #1          at 2011-05-02 16:54:44
* OK

best regards

Clóvis

Answers (0)