cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown Oracle Database in MSCS Environment

0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are facing problem regarding shutdown the oracle database in Cluster Environment. We have installed SAP HA on windows 2003 server and backend database is Oracle.

In order to configure the dataguard we have to create the control file from Primary Database for this purpose we have to shutdown and then startup the database in mount state.

But whenever i shutdown the database from SQL prompt by "shutdown immediate" command and see the status of

database it always remains in open state.

I have tried the following options as well but no success:-

• Stop all the instances of SAP and then shutdown the database.

• Shutdown the second node and then shutdown the database.

• Brought offline the ORACLE<SID> group and then shutdown the database.

Kind Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its simple, make sure you stop app servers if you have using SAP MMC.

Do not stop SAP CI/ASCS and DB from command prompt or SAPMMC.

User Cluster admin tool to manage your clustered groups.

take offline your SAP and then DB from cluster admin. Only bring online the database releted shared disk in cluster admin. Check on which node the DB is currently on. Go to to the services and start oracleservice<SID> service. From command prompt you can mount the database and create control file.

You should be able to create the control file while DB is online.

0 Kudos

Dear Sunil,

I tried the option you mentioned but what happened is that after 3 seconds the database become online automatically. But when i try to bring <SID>.world (database) offline and then try to connect the database trhough SQL prompt i get the error "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" .

I have to shutdown the database and then bring it in no mount or mount state to generate SP file and to create control file for standby database.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>"ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" .

You need to bring your DB offline from cluster admin.

Make sure you logged-on as <SID>adm and you have started ORACLEService<SID> service manually from windows services.

then you should be able to connect to DB via command prompt.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error"

The above error message comes if Oracle Listener service is not running. Start Oracle TNS Listener service, if it is not running.

You can create control file while your Primary Database is ONLINE. Use the below mentioned command to create standby control file and use it for recovery at Standby database.

ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS '/path/to/controlfile.ctl';

If you want to Start/Stop SAP/ORACLE in MCSC environment then refer the steps mentioned in these threads, [thread1|; and [thread2|;.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

0 Kudos

Dear Sunil,

Thanks for your support! My issue is resolved.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

wrong procedure:

stop all SAP application server belonging to that SAP system using SAPMMC.

To Shutdown the database:

- Open the Oracle Failsafe Manager

- drill down the Navigation Tree - Clusters - <your cluster> - groups - oracle <dbsid>

- right click on "<dbsid>.world"

choose "take offline"

regards

Peter