cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who use SAP Partitioning Engine for Oracle ?

KayKa
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

our customers and we have the problem that our databases grows and grows every month. That will lead to space and perfomance issues. So we have to archive parts of our data to spare space and gain more performance.

Now we came across the SAP Partitioning Engine for Oracle. See SAP Note 1333328 or the actual Oracle Newsletter http://www.oracle.com/newsletters/sap/volumes/volume19-en.pdf on page 16 and 17.

So my question is: Is there any experience around here with this new Partitioning Engine ? Does it meet your expactations ? What's about the handling ?

best regards

Kay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

darren_keenan
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have been messing around with this tool for a few weeks now.  It is okay.  It's primary limitation is that it is only set up for a couple of dozen tables.

The current version supports a maintenance job to redo partitions, but I have not seen how well this actually works in practice since our tables have not changed enough to force an additional partition.

My question is what happens when you use the tool to RE-partition an existing table.  My DFKKOP has over 150 million records and tablescans were killing performance.  So, I manually partitioned the table into a simple 2-partition setup ("open" and "closed" records).  This sped up most queries by about 6000%, but I have to maintain this manually as the "enable row movement" option does not seem to work. 

Now I wonder what will happen if I run the tool on this table, so I can take advantage of the maintenance part of the tool.  Does anyone have experience with this?

KayKa
Active Participant
0 Kudos

"Is there anybody out there ?"

Hi all,

i wonder if there is no one here who have some experience with this tool.

best regards

Kay

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use partitioning in our BI systems and we have done our own bunch of reports to partition a few large tables in an ERP 6.0 system. This was all before the partitioning engine came out.

I did a few tests with the partitioning engine, for example with table EDIDC. In my opinion the handling is ok so far. You run the report, at the moment you can only partition the mentioned tables. Then you have to start an online reorg with brspace.

One thing that is missing is the possibility to create a maintenance job (to create new partitions / sliding window) and the monitoring of the partitions. Most importantly data deletion is still done with delete and not with drop/truncate partition. So you cannot use some very important features of partitioning with the standard tool.

At the moment we are planning to use the partitioning engine on table BDCP2. But i don't know if i get any results back until next year.

Be aware that the feature is very new and obviously not much used until now. This means you have to test very carefully, in the best case your test system is a copy of prod and you can test your critical application processes that use the table afterwards. Do not hesitate to share if you have considerations on a specific table.

Cheers Michael

KayKa
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

after reaching over 500 views but only 1 answer i suppose that almost nobody uses this tool.

Or does nobody know this tool ?

best regards

Kay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody implemented this tool . i.e  SAP Partitioning Engine. If yes, please share details