Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to organize PI alerts?

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm configuring PI alerts for the 1st time and I know how to do it technically speaking but my question is more theoretical:

Which do you think is the best way to organize alert categories and alert rules? I know that each business has its own peculiarities but can you help me to define an approach?

Shall I create an alert classification with its alert categories for each scenario? But then, how can I control the errors in components used by more than one scenario, for example RFC adapters?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shall I create an alert classification with its alert categories for each scenario?

You can have classifications based on your business scenarios. But, its not good proctice to create too many alert categories.

You can create generic alert categories for IE and AE errors and use them for all scenarios.

Try to use relavent container variables to have complete error details in your e-mail alert.The good practise is to use few alert categories and if required you can have multiple alert rules based on your needs.

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can have classifications based on your business scenarios. But, its not good proctice to create too many alert categories.

You can create generic alert categories for IE and AE errors and use them for all scenarios.

Try to use relavent container variables to have complete error details in your e-mail alert.The good practise is to use few alert categories and if required you can have multiple alert rules based on your needs.

Thank you nagarjuna _s, this is the kind of answer that I'm expecting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marshal,

did you see this blog Alert Management and Categorization in PI - A View Point

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2010/04/27/alert-management-and-categorization-in-pi--a-view-point

regards,

francis

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Francis.

I've got this blog marked as pending to read into my RSS reader and I didn't know that until now.

Seems like the author is partidary to create a category for each system involved with PI scenarios instead of just 2 categories like nagarjuna _s proposes.

I have to think about it, but my first opinion is that I like more this second approach with an alert category for system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes..you can create for each system instead of every interface. Depends on your requirements.

If your intention is to send the alerts to business users aswell, then probably you can classify alerts to each system and inform only those users.

If your intention is to notify support personnel about th errors then you can have generic alerts.

As I said earlier, the classification depends on what you want excatly.

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, thank you to all for your help. Interesting opinions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the below link:

http://saptechnical. com/Tutorials/XI/AlertConfiguration/AC1.htm

Thanks,

former_member207622
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please go through these links

http://xigenie.com/ie-alerts-/12-IE-Alerts/112-how-to-configure-alerts-on-xipi

You can create a generic one for some interfaces of similar kind keep alert classification as Xi xlassified

and create separate alert categoris for each interface you can use variables to store interface names to distinguish

regards

Ninad